Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router ARP Table

clear arp-cache cause problems in a production environment?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Carlos

It's not something you want to be doing frequently but i have done it in production networks before and the effect is mimimal because the arp table gets repopulated almost immediately. If possible be as specific as you can ie. can you specify which entries you want to remove rather than clear the entire cache.

If you are at all worried then you should do this out of core hours.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It wont as arp table re-populates immediately but my experience say to do this on off peak hours in order to ignore the minimal impact which can cause after clearing the arp.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

droeun141
Level 1
Level 1

During peak hours, it can.  Best way is to shorten the ARP timeout per VLAN so you don't flush the entire table.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Carlos

It's not something you want to be doing frequently but i have done it in production networks before and the effect is mimimal because the arp table gets repopulated almost immediately. If possible be as specific as you can ie. can you specify which entries you want to remove rather than clear the entire cache.

If you are at all worried then you should do this out of core hours.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It wont as arp table re-populates immediately but my experience say to do this on off peak hours in order to ignore the minimal impact which can cause after clearing the arp.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

droeun141
Level 1
Level 1

During peak hours, it can.  Best way is to shorten the ARP timeout per VLAN so you don't flush the entire table.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card