cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I force a VG202 into voice VLAN

ricklefevers
Level 1
Level 1

Deploying VG202 for first time. Want to use DHCP & SCCP auto-config. The goal is to allow the VG202 to be moved to a different location (switch port) and have it get a new DHCP address and register - basically act like a phone. The issue is that it gets an IP address from the data VLAN and does not go into the voice VLAN. Is there a way to do this? thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

As far as I'm aware if it's an IOS gateway you won't be able to make it transportable and still have it land in the voice VLAN if it changes from switch to switch.

You could configure the IP DHCP etc on a sub int if the VLAN is consistent across all switches...

Unless, of course:

1) You have some kind of NAC deployment where you can assign a VLAN based on the MAC address as it connects to the switch..

2) You have a routed LAN, so you can use the same VLAN IDs for voice on each edge switch. In that scenario you could configure a dot1q subint for the voice VLAN, and wherever it lands it would land in the correct VLAN.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rick,

I'm guessing you changed the settings as shown in "Configuring Voice > Auto registration"

from this doc?

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/vg202_vg204/software/vg2_vg4_scg.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Yeah sure did. The only thing in the doc which is not default is setting the hostname and

turning on ip address dhcp on the interface so it can use dhcp, option 150, etc. The problem is that even though CDP is running it lands in the data VLAN (instead of voice VLAN) where no option 150 is configured.

Hi

As far as I'm aware if it's an IOS gateway you won't be able to make it transportable and still have it land in the voice VLAN if it changes from switch to switch.

You could configure the IP DHCP etc on a sub int if the VLAN is consistent across all switches...

Unless, of course:

1) You have some kind of NAC deployment where you can assign a VLAN based on the MAC address as it connects to the switch..

2) You have a routed LAN, so you can use the same VLAN IDs for voice on each edge switch. In that scenario you could configure a dot1q subint for the voice VLAN, and wherever it lands it would land in the correct VLAN.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

ricklefevers
Level 1
Level 1

So Aaron was correct. I actually tried this right off the bat but couldn't get it to work. Then I started noticing that sometimes when I rebooted the VG202 it would come up in ROMON mode - not consistently but just every now and then. I upgraded IOS to 12.4(24)T3 and it works like a champ now. The original IOS was 12.4.(22)T4.

Basic steps are do what is in the document plus...

Add dot1Q subinterface for voice VLAN - and yes of course it has to be the same VLAN number across the network anywhere you want to move it to.

Modify SCCP settings to point to this subinterface rather than directly to the physical port - there are two of these in the default config.

Works like a champ - goes to CM to get config, downloads, configs, registers, life it good.

I have moved these all over our network now including across the WAN to other buildings and have no issues with portabillity.

thanks,

rick

Hello, I know the thread is old :-).

The Switchport have the following config.

interface FastEthernet0/7
switchport access vlan 8xx
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 9xx
spanning-tree portfast

We would connect the Vg20x LAN1 to this Switport and at Vg20x LAN2 connect a PC. The analoge Ports of the Vg20x should tag in the voice vlan 9xx and the PC should tag in vlan 8xx.

We can not work over trunking.

Any Idee how we must configure the LAN1 and LAN2 at the VG20x to support this Szenario?

Best Regards Armin