cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NAC Remediation Config Assistance

jpecarski
Level 1
Level 1

I'm deploying NAC for a large enterprise. They would like the use the NAC for posture assessments but manual remediation. If the users do not meet the windows patch and AV requirements they are expected to manually remediate their systems, not using the CCA agent.

Is this possible? I cannot find a specific example of this. Their reasons for this design is they have multiple partners using this service but they cannot remediate systems which they do no manage, we can only enforce the policies.

Thanks for the assistance.

4 Replies 4

Faisal Sehbai
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

This is kind of the way it works right now. Our agent will ask the OS to do the Windows update (manual remediation would be the same too, only the user clicking on the buttons to do the Windows Update), and for AVs we ask the AVs using API calls to remediate. In some requirement types you can display for them links to download/install software, but essentially the most part of the remediation happens with users input and entirely automatically.

Faisal

Thanks Faisal,

The problem is these users are not part of the organization but are partners. The organization cannot perform remediation whatsoever. I was hoping the manual option would force the user to perform the remediation manually, not simply by prompting the user each time but to deny them access to the network and instructing them to remediate their system through their own enterprise (using custom messages).

Is this an option?

Hi,

If they don't comply with the requirements, they won't be allowed access to the network. You can put in a message with some of the requirement types. What type of requirements are you using?

Faisal

There will be three requirements:

- a custom requirement checking for registry entries and files to determine if the system is a corporate asset or not.

- a windows patch check

- AV checks

The customer does not require remediation from the NAC at all. They only wish to use the product for posture assessment only. I do not want to offer the option of remediation at all. There are two reasons for this decision:

1) They cannot perform remediation to 3rd party systems since they do not manage the asset.

2) They currently have software deployment farmed out to another company which do not use WSUS. They use tivoli.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: