Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate Limit over MQS

harisivaji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Iam new to QOS, i have read about rate limit command recently and some basic concept about MQS

As of my knowledge QOS will be used only when only there is congestion, Am i right ?

If i had Rate limit command which matches RTP port with some X bps and Y BC and BE applied to an serial interface in output direction

If there is MQS for same rtp port with classmap policy map and service policy assosiated to same interface in the same direction as like rate limit

which will have impact or which will function and which will not

What will be the result

Thanks,

Hari

3 Replies 3

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hari,

As far as I know, you cannot use both MQC and legacy qos same time.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Oh, I didnt try this so i have no idea about this, the reason for this one is due to this requirement:

In my network there are three departments each one has its own VOIP network on its own.

I have to limit bandwidth for each department, like the maximum usuage of bandwidth is limited for Dept-A eg:512Kbps also inside that department where there will be some Voice and data traffic so when there is congestion Voice network in Dept-A can use reserved BW of 128Kbps and data can be used for rest

Simlarly Dept-B and C

I thought first based on network i will rate-limitso maximum ususage is limited

and for Voice priority i plan to use class-map and so... (because i learned QOS will be used st the time of congestion)

Hi,

You can use hierarchical qos to do that. It will be something look like this

policy-map LLQ

class PQ

priority 128k

class class-default

fair-queue

policy-map parent_level

class Dept_A

bandwidth 512k

service-policy LLQ

class Dept_B

bandwidth 512k

service-policy LLQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/qos_frhqf_support_ps10591_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1088100

HTH,

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card