Firewall products

Unanswered Question
Apr 1st, 2010

Hi everyone

I used to work  with Cisco routers and switches for many years in my previous position as a network opperator. Now I changed the company and I'm in charge for IT security. The organization is small and has about 20-25 users. The entire infrastructure is based on Mac, including the Server. At the moment we only use personal firewalls and don't have any UTM appliances installed. However, the business requirements changed and we weould like to set up VPN for some of our employees.

I've made some research and found that there are several products which could help us to build a more secure network. On one hand, the SA540 from Cisco is quite interesting since it has good performance and is a well known brand. On the other hand, other products such as [email protected] from checkpoint or prosecure from netgear are interessting as well and are probably a little bit cheaper.

Anyway, I have some questions about the SA520 and SA540 and hope that someone can answer it. First of all, I wanted to know if you think these appliances are good enough for the size of our company. I didn't find any information about concurrent users in the specs. Second, I would like to know more about VPN. In the SA540 there are 50 seats included, what does that mean? And what type of VPN Client do we need? Are the clients (software) included in the product and does it work for Mac OS X?

I'm looking forward to your feedback. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Daniel

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Glenn Quesenberry Thu, 04/08/2010 - 08:13

Daniel,

Are you a Cisco Partner or VAR?  If so I can point you directly to the information you're looking for, if not i can point you to a Partner that will be able to assist you.

Best Regards,

Glenn

biraja Fri, 04/09/2010 - 09:54

Hi Daniel,

You get 50 free SSL VPN licenses with the purchase of SA540 product.

SSL VPN is only supported for Windows OS. You don't need any client software prior to connecting to SA540.

Client is embedded in the SA540 firmware.

For Windows OS, you can download QuickVPN client from the Cisco.com.

Mac OS does not support SSL VPN.

For Quick VPN alternative to Mac OS, please see the following document.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-10585

Thanks and Regards,

Biraja