Views
Helpful
Replies

Port span on 3750switch

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Looking for some advice on creating a SPAN port. The situation is something like this: there is an existing replication server (say ABC) and there is another server (say XYZ) which is sort of acting as log collector server. SPAN needs to be created for XYZ server to collect/listen to data from ABC server.

Both these servers are on different vlans.All these reside on same switch.

1. Can i use another spare port on the same switch to actually become SPAN port for this purpose. It appears that XYZ server has multiple NIC's and would be connected to this proposed SPAN port, so that management & data collection is done seperately.

Is this feasible? If so, do i need to put this spare port on some specific vlan or leave it on default vlan(which to me means there wont be any ip configured on the XYZ server NIC connecting to this interface) and just configure monitor sessions on this port.

Appreciate all your help in advance.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

suthomas1 wrote:

Hi,

Looking for some advice on creating a SPAN port. The situation is something like this: there is an existing replication server (say ABC) and there is another server (say XYZ) which is sort of acting as log collector server. SPAN needs to be created for XYZ server to collect/listen to data from ABC server.

1. Can i use another spare port on the same switch to actually become SPAN port for this purpose. It appears that XYZ server has multiple NIC's and would be connected to this proposed SPAN port, so that management & data collection is done seperately.

Is this feasible? If so, do i need to put this spare port on some specific vlan or leave it on default vlan(which to me means there wont be any ip configured on the XYZ server NIC connecting to this interface) and just configure monitor sessions on this port.

Thanks!

Yes it's feasible. Use the spare NIC to connect to the SPAN port. You don't need to configure an IP address on it if you don't want to. Make sure that there is no forwarding between the NICs on the server and for safety make sure the port that is the SPAN port is in a different vlan than the other NIC on the server. It can be in any vlan so if you want to you can simply create a vlan for the SPAN port.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

suthomas1 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Yes it's feasible. Use the spare NIC to connect to the SPAN port. You don't need to configure an IP address on it if you don't want to. Make sure that there is no forwarding between the NICs on the server and for safety make sure the port that is the SPAN port is in a different vlan than the other NIC on the server. It can be in any vlan so if you want to you can simply create a vlan for the SPAN port.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Thanks for that very useful reply.

A small query though, when other nic of server is connected to this spare port (without any ip) , will it be able to communicate for this purpose.( i believe the port needs to be up for this).

Will it be so when the nic is connected to this port.

Thank You!

suthomas1 wrote:

Thanks for that very useful reply.

A small query though, when other nic of server is connected to this spare port (without any ip) , will it be able to communicate for this purpose.( i believe the port needs to be up for this).

Will it be so when the nic is connected to this port.

Thank You!

Port needs to be up but it only needs to receive the traffic ie. it won't send anything on this NIC. And the switch will simply send all traffic seen on your source port(s) to the destination port.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: