Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Tunnel/QuickVPN issues

bryangintz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a WRVS4400N that is setup as 10.1.0.1, it is setup to tunnel to a Cisco ASA and allow access to 10.1.5.0 from all 10.1.0.0 addresses.

This works great.

The problem is that when I use quickVPN to get into my WRVS4400N from my house, I cannot get to the 10.1.5.0 addresses because quickVPN does not assign me a 10.1.0.0 address locally (I have only used a Sonicwall before this for VPN and my expierence there was that it actually assigned me an address from DHCP behind the firewall).

Is it possible for me to access the 10.1.5.0 addresses on the other side of the VPN tunnel?

Ideas?

Thanks!

Bryan Gintz

4 Replies 4

qumartin
Level 1
Level 1

That is correct you should not be able to access the network behind the ASA. That is a security feature of the VPN. If that was the case The VPN Tunnel would Open you up to all types of user. You should have access the local network behind the wrvs4400n. The tunnel gives access to the local that is on the wrvs4400n network but it also makes a difference of what public address that you are coming from also to give you access and your public is different than what is allowed on the tunnel.

Ok,

I am not sure I understand that answer.

If I have access to the ASA network from inside my WRVS4400N network, wouldn't I have access to the ASA network if I used quickVPN to get into my WRVS4400N network?  I think the only thing that is preventing me from doing so is that the tunnel to the ASA network is limited to IPs of 10.1.0.0, and when I quickVPN in, it does not assign me any IP from the WRVS4400N network, so it is preventing me access to the ASA network.  Is there a way to open up the tunnel for people that use quickVPN?

I am assuming that security is not an issue, that the Cisco quickVPN client is a secure tool.

Thanks,

Bryan

Dear Bryant gintz

take a look at this guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9923/products_qanda_item09186a0080a35905.shtml#qa1

i think this is your problem!!

Note: After you add the first user account and the router detects that                 it is currently configured to the default 192.168.1.0 network, it automatically                 attempts to change itself to be on a 10.x.x.0 network. The network ...

one way to do what you are trying is to do a VPN client into the LAN behinde the WRVS4400N and the do a remote desktop(Windows) or SSH(linux) to a host in that network and from the host VPN into the ASA network that should work! cause now you are connecting from the the WRVS LAN.

/Simmi Potoker

Hi Bryan,

Currently this functionality is not supported.

The Quick VPN utility only gives you access to the default LAN segment behind the router you authenticate you.  Addtionally even if you have local VLAN's behind the RVS4000 you will not have access to them.

This is by design how the Quick VPN utility is built.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: