cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What happens if I issue the "no names" command on a running ASA?

craig.robbins
Level 1
Level 1

I need to add the "no names" command to our ASA so they don't appear in the logs. Will this interrupt service on a production ASA?

thanks

6 Replies 6

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, it will not affect any production traffic.

All it does is stopped the ip address conversion to name, and if you configure "name" back, it will start to use the name.

Hope it helps.

"no names" will not affect anything.

Firewall will immediately start using IP ADDRESS instead of NAMES in the syslogs. See these sample logs below.

Apr 03 2010 12:54:23: %ASA-6-305011: Built dynamic UDP translation from inside:inside-pc-1/56520 to outside:172.18.254.34/20219

Apr 03 2010 12:55:24: %ASA-6-305011: Built dynamic TCP translation from inside:192.168.2.2/1458 to outside:172.18.254.34/45552

sh run names

name 192.168.2.2 inside-pc-1

-KS

Does "no names" only affect logging data, or does it get rid of names in ASDM as well?  We use names extensively in our configs and it makes administering with ASDM considerably easier.  We're worried that if we issue the command, it will make it more difficult to administer the device.

Hi,

No names does not affect any production, it only starts shoing ip instead of names, wherever used, like logs, access-list, nats etc. And if you want the names back, just do "names" and it would be back. "no names" only disbles the names it does not delete it, when you want it back use names command.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

That is not exactly true, unfortunately. When using the "vpn load-balancing"-feature, it redirects you to https://[ip]/... afterwards instead of https://[name]/...

I'm not sure VPN load balancing was a thing when the thread was originally created over 6 years ago. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card