Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM snmp host command

I have one FWSM as module in the core switch and i am trying to type this command:

snmp-server host interface_name ip_address [trap | poll] 
[community text] [version {1 | 2c}] [udp-port port]

but it is not accepted. my host ip address 10.1.11.29 and it is in interface vlan 11

can you pleas help me in how to type this command.

by the way my FWSM  not active on the network .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The command "snmp-server host management_vlan 10.1.11.29" is correct if the snmp server is connected to management_vlan interface.

MARS does not need to be in the same vlan as the management_vlan, as long as the snmp packet can reach MARS, it is OK.

You would need to know which interface of the fwsm is the MARS connected to, and use that interface name on the snmp-server command.

For example:

If MARS is connected, or routed through inside interface, instead of management_vlan interface, then your command should be as follows:

snmp-server host inside 10.1.11.29

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is the syntax.

snmp-server host inside 10.10.10.1  ---> inside is the name of the vlan11 interface.

Refer command reference here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm41/command/reference/s8.html#wp2772041

Once you configure interface vlan11 with proper nameif command I think it will take the command.

Make sure to issue "sh run int vlan11" and see that it is properly configured with ip address and nameif.  FWSM does not have to be in production to be able to take this command.  You don't even have to push the vlans down to the FWSM from the switch.

-KS

Dear Kusanker

You mean if vlan 11 name is( management_vlan) the command will be:

snmp-server host management_vlan 10.1.11.29

Thank you

by the way should MARS me on the management vlan ???

The command "snmp-server host management_vlan 10.1.11.29" is correct if the snmp server is connected to management_vlan interface.

MARS does not need to be in the same vlan as the management_vlan, as long as the snmp packet can reach MARS, it is OK.

You would need to know which interface of the fwsm is the MARS connected to, and use that interface name on the snmp-server command.

For example:

If MARS is connected, or routed through inside interface, instead of management_vlan interface, then your command should be as follows:

snmp-server host inside 10.1.11.29

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: