NAM-1 Blade is in a power down status

Unanswered Question
Apr 3rd, 2010
User Badges:

Hello Guys:

we have a 6509 switch that is running  Version 12.2(33)SXH5 on the active and hot standy sups. The show module showed that the module 7 where the NAM-1 is inserted is in a pwer down state , and physically on the blade the LED is off. The show mod retain the following info in regard to module 7

;

Mod MAC addresses                         Hw    Fw                Sw               Status

7  001b.d4ab.0fa8 to 001b.d4ab.0faf   4.0   7.2(1)       8.7(0.22)BUB      PwrDown

I tried to bring the module up by issuing the command "power enable module 7", it changed the status to OTHERS but after few minutes it went back to PwrDown. I can not telnet to the blade to upgrade the software to 3.5(1b) where my other switch is running fine with its own NAM-1 but since it is in shut down state i can't. Also tried to reset it but no luck.

Any help will be highly appreciated !!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Sat, 04/03/2010 - 20:37
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN

Hello Ahmad,

The NAM module has a shut down button on it.  Try holding down the button to turn it on and see if you can login to it.

HTH

Reza

Reza Sharifi Sat, 04/03/2010 - 21:17
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN

Hello Ahmad,

Also, try pulling the blade out and reinsert it back in to see if the problem goes away.

HTH

Reza

ahmaddhahir Sun, 04/04/2010 - 10:16
User Badges:

Hello Reza:

The shut down button on the blade is to power it down when it is on as cisco said , still i tried it but didnt help. Also i pulled the blade and reseated, it turned the light for a couple of minutes and then went off back again. Any alternative opinions will be appreciated.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 04/05/2010 - 15:04
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

power enable module 7

ahmaddhahir Mon, 04/05/2010 - 15:59
User Badges:

if you noticed in my initial posting, i already issued this command power enable mod 7. It  changed the status to "OTHERS" and after a few minutes it went back to PwrDown. I attempted to reseated , it brought the LED to on for a few minutes but wen back off again.

ahmaddhahir Mon, 04/05/2010 - 16:05
User Badges:

i forgot to mention that this issue happened right after our attempt to upgrade the softwar on the blade which mostly incompatabile with the software on the sup . So now i guess the remdy is how to cover or roll back to the original software on the blade. Since it is in a power down status , we can not do anything to cover it back.

Reza Sharifi Mon, 04/05/2010 - 17:30
User Badges:
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN

Hello Ahmad,

If you have SmartNet contract, RMA it back to Cisco.

Reza

Leo Laohoo Mon, 04/05/2010 - 17:37
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I guess the other way is to roll-back your IOS of the 6500, upgrade the firmware of the NAM and upgrade the 6500 again.

Actions

This Discussion