BAD / Non-Uniform documentation for "adopted" products.

Unanswered Question
Apr 4th, 2010

Am I the only one to notice (and gripe!) about BAD documentation for products which Cisco "adopts" (or whatever the right term is).

I'm referring to stuff like WFO - QM for UCCX.

Have a look at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps8293/tsd_products_support_series_home.html in general.

Specifically: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/workforce_optimization/qm_2x/installation/guide/qm273install-cisco.pdf

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/workforce_optimization/qm_2x/maintenance/guide/qm273admin-cisco.pdf

Compared to the UCCX7 documentation and the UCM7 documentation, this is really skimpy.

For those familiar with QM and the setup:

- Where's the documentation on using the 2nd interface on a server for server based recording? e.g. should this 2nd interface have an IP? What services to enable? Binding order?

- Where's the detailed doc for how to configure the DB user on the UCCX side to allow sync by the QM side? e.g. how to add a user if only using the internal "express" version of SQL which comes with UCCX?

Is there some team at Cisco which looks at documentation quality when these add-on products are adopted into the Cisco solution suite?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Linda Waterhouse Tue, 04/13/2010 - 11:37

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

The Cisco Unified Workforce Optimization product is indeed an OEM product.  For OEM products, there is a Cisco product liaison team that includes a doc representative. 

I have provided your comments to the Cisco doc representative for Cisco Unified Workforce Optimization.  They are reviewing your comments and will be contacting you if they have questions.  Thanks for flagging these issues.

Linda

BENJAMIN TAN Tue, 04/13/2010 - 21:05

Hi Linda,

Thanks for taking this up.

Another specific example of my general comment:

Ref: "Cisco Unified Workforce Optimization - Quality Management Installation Guide 2.7(3) - September 2009" (filename on cisco.com: "qm273install-cisco.pdf")

On page 43 - "SQL or NT" seems (to me) to suggest that I can use either mode. (so I chose SQL mode)

BUT if SQL ("mixed mode") is chosen, the issue documented in "Historical Reporting Client (HRC) User Login Fails - Document ID: 110276" is encounted.

(which is what happened to us and why I'm grumbling about the docs...).

-ben

Linda Waterhouse Wed, 04/14/2010 - 14:36

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Wow, Ben! Thanks so much for providing this specific input. 

I have sent the info to the Cisco doc rep for Cisco Unified Workforce Optimization.

Linda

Actions

This Discussion