Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity set-up

bmaranga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My question is this. We have a client that already has existing Unity servers in High-Av setup. This unity system already caters 1000 plus users and based on these subscriptions there are instances that unity experiences insufficient hard drive and memory. Recently client opened a new site that will handle 800 new users that eventually these users will subscribe to the unity system. To address their current unity experience, would it possible to add new unity just for these new users. This new unity will integrate to the existing CUCM and email system. Is this set-up will work? What are the things that we need to consider.

Regards,

Jermaine M.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jermaine,

You can add a new Unity system dedicated to another site.  If you wanted the users on each system to be able to forward messages to/from each other via TUI and so forth, then you would need to consider networking the systems (digital networking).  However, before we get too deep into that discussion - I'm curious on the details of the current set up as 1000 users is fairly light.  Some questions:

1) What is the MCS server hardware in use?

2) What version of Unity?

Thanks,

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

Is this a voicemail only deployment or Unified Messaging?

What I'm trying to get at is if you really need a separate server. A 7835 can handle 1000 users...and if users aren't deleting messages, you can do something about that in a VMO setup.

Hailey

If this is a UM setup and there are issues with disk space in Exchange, then I would advise the client to enforce mailbox quotas to handle this issue.  If the Unity server is running out of disk space, this is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.  That would require more investigation.  In any case, unless there are bandwidth limitations between the new site and the existing infrastructure - I would likely not add a second system.  I would say you should first consider rectifying the issues on the existing 7835 or upgrade the hardware to a 7845.  You could do this either via DiRT or via COBRAS.  Technically what you want to do should be OK.  However, I'm not sure it's actually addressing the root of whatever the issues you are seeing happen to be.  Just my 2 cents.

Hailey

Ok - so, it sounds as if you're saying your Unity server and Exchange backend was configured to also be the corporate Active Directory and Messaging solution.  If not, then you wouldn't be pointing the DirSync service on CUCM to query LDAP directly on Unity.  Is this the case?  If so, I probably wouldn't consider this an ideal setup for a UM environment.  VMO is a different story on that front.  For UM, ideally you would have a separate DC/GC that is responsible for the primary directory duties and then Exchange does Exchange and Unity is just a member server in the domain.  This allows each component to focus more specifically on it's given task.

Hailey

9 Replies 9

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jermaine,

You can add a new Unity system dedicated to another site.  If you wanted the users on each system to be able to forward messages to/from each other via TUI and so forth, then you would need to consider networking the systems (digital networking).  However, before we get too deep into that discussion - I'm curious on the details of the current set up as 1000 users is fairly light.  Some questions:

1) What is the MCS server hardware in use?

2) What version of Unity?

Thanks,

Hailey

Hi Hailey,

Thanks for the swift and informative reply.

Client has Cisco Unity 7.0 version running in MCS 7835. Some of their users are not deleting their voicemails.

What are the dependencies with this kind of setup? In the CUCM and on the clients email systems. With current setup, it is very unlikely that users on the existing sites receives messages from the new unity server in the new site. Users on each site will utilize their respective unity systems.

Up to how many unity systems can a single CUCM cluster be integrated or communicate?

Regards,

Jermaine

Is this a voicemail only deployment or Unified Messaging?

What I'm trying to get at is if you really need a separate server. A 7835 can handle 1000 users...and if users aren't deleting messages, you can do something about that in a VMO setup.

Hailey

Hi Hailey,

Thanks. Client's unity is for unified messaging. Yes 1000 users is in range for their server.

If this is a UM setup and there are issues with disk space in Exchange, then I would advise the client to enforce mailbox quotas to handle this issue.  If the Unity server is running out of disk space, this is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.  That would require more investigation.  In any case, unless there are bandwidth limitations between the new site and the existing infrastructure - I would likely not add a second system.  I would say you should first consider rectifying the issues on the existing 7835 or upgrade the hardware to a 7845.  You could do this either via DiRT or via COBRAS.  Technically what you want to do should be OK.  However, I'm not sure it's actually addressing the root of whatever the issues you are seeing happen to be.  Just my 2 cents.

Hailey

Hi Hailey,

You’re absolutely correct. We already advised them before to consider a policy for their unity users since we already foresee this situation based on their usage of the system. We are also looking into the LDAP service of their Unity. Currently, LDAP service for all CUCM users runs on one of these Unity servers. We are recommending moving this LDAP services off from this unity and having it in a separate dedicated server. Would that make sense? Thanks in advance. .

Regards,

Jermaine

Ok - so, it sounds as if you're saying your Unity server and Exchange backend was configured to also be the corporate Active Directory and Messaging solution.  If not, then you wouldn't be pointing the DirSync service on CUCM to query LDAP directly on Unity.  Is this the case?  If so, I probably wouldn't consider this an ideal setup for a UM environment.  VMO is a different story on that front.  For UM, ideally you would have a separate DC/GC that is responsible for the primary directory duties and then Exchange does Exchange and Unity is just a member server in the domain.  This allows each component to focus more specifically on it's given task.

Hailey

Hi Hialey,

Thank you so much for your support and patient in answering my query. Surely you will hear from me soon asking other question regarding Unified Messaging or related technology.

Regards,

Jermaine M.

Anytime my friend, anytime.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: