Now we would like to Update the OS.

Please Let me know the Procedure of OS Update

REgards,

Bala Krishna

5 Replies 5

pirato1428
Level 1
Level 1

Ironport Always recommends you disconnect a machine from the cluster before performing an upgrade. This will allow other remaining machine to function as normal while the one upgrades and in case there might be problem with the unit during the upgrade process.

So I would recommend:

1. disconnect from machine1 from cluster [Clusterconfig - disconnect] no need to commit

- optional do a [suspendlistener] if your network allows other cluster member to continue functioning

2. perform upgrade -ignore warning about disconnecting other cluster members

3. and when machine is done it will ask you to restart , confirm and its back up (operational) use the resume command if you suspended the listener earlier

4. disconnect the second machine and follow the above procedure

5. After all machine have been upgrade just issue the clusterconfig - reconnect commands

*I would advice to make any changes on the config during this process as they will not be syncronised.

regards

Pirato

Hi,

Thanks For your Reply.

Box1 : 192.168.1.1

Box2 : 192.168.1.2

Cluster : 192.168.1.3

This Is My Box IP Address. Now All Mail are routed trough Cluster IP Address:192.168.1.3.

As per your above steps.

First i am connecting to Cluster IP Address and Disconnecting the Box1:192.168.1.1

After Disconnecting we have to Update the OS.

Now All Mails are Routed trough Box2:192.168.1.2

After Updating the Box1:192.168.1.1 i cant join it into the Cluster.

Again i am Doing the same steps to my Box2:192.168.1.2

Now my Both Box are not in Cluster what about my incoming mails.

There is no devices to receive the mails.

Please Clarifiy me on this

Doubt:

if i disconnect one box from the Cluster did that box have the same configuration are it becomes like a Dummy Box.

I mean configuration information.

Regards,

Bala Krishna G

Hi there

When you disconnect a machine from the cluster it does not lose configuration. It will carry on processing mails even when performing the upgrade. After upgrade is done and it needs to reboot, will it not process mails until it completely restarts. Make sure it comes back up and is processing mails fine before you disconnect the second box2.

I fmails have started flowing on box1, then disconnect box2 from cluster and start the upgrade process there.

Remember they need to be upgraded to the same asyncOS version (including build). for clustering to work.

cheers

Hi,

I am really happy for your reply.

Thank you very much.

Here i come to know that even if i given 'clusterconfig disconnec box1' still that box1 can able to send and receive the mails.

Please help Me to Understand this.

How can i make sure that Box1 comes back up and is processing mails fine before you disconnect the second box2.

Regards,

Bala Krishna G

you can verify if mails are flowing via the comandline

box1>status

This will show you messages received since uptime (since reboot)

alternatively you can just type:

box1>tail mail_logs

This will show you messages being processed, the logs just runs up the sreen of connection and activity on the box.

good luck