cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning specific bandwidth to a particular subnet

Scotland1314
Level 1
Level 1

Folks, I have been hit by an absolute beauty by our management today. We have a Joint project team who are on our network, but connecting back to another company via VPN. They are complaining that the link speed is to slow (we only have 4meg for the entire company). They are wanting a dedicated 1 meg link for themselves, so the question is how can I achieve this, they connect via a Cisco 3750G to our Catalyst 4507. We have not assigned them a speciffic Vlan yet, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Oh and if I have to Vlan them off to achieve this any tips on how to do this (or even web links) would also be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Folks, I have been hit by an absolute beauty by our management today. We have a Joint project team who are on our network, but connecting back to another company via VPN. They are complaining that the link speed is to slow (we only have 4meg for the entire company). They are wanting a dedicated 1 meg link for themselves, so the question is how can I achieve this, they connect via a Cisco 3750G to our Catalyst 4507. We have not assigned them a speciffic Vlan yet, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Oh and if I have to Vlan them off to achieve this any tips on how to do this (or even web links) would also be appreciated.

Hi,

Check out the below link on CIR and Class base policing,Hope to Help !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml

Ganesh.H

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Thanks for that link. As it turns out, it is almost impossible to do this as we end up hitting our

ISP's router. I could put QOS on the VPN connection, but once again once it hits the

bottleneck of the ISP router that slows it down again. What I am going to TRY and do (if I can ever figur

e out VLANNING !!) is VLAN the ports on the switch through to our Catalyst, then take a seperate connection to our ASA and uplink that to a spare port on the ISP's router, they have said they can segregate the link over two ports, one 1 meg, the other 3. If anyone can see any obvious errors in my plan, please let me know. Cheers.

Scotland1314 wrote:

Thanks for that link. As it turns out, it is almost impossible to do this as we end up hitting our

ISP's router. I could put QOS on the VPN connection, but once again once it hits the

bottleneck of the ISP router that slows it down again. What I am going to TRY and do (if I can ever figur

e out VLANNING !!) is VLAN the ports on the switch through to our Catalyst, then take a seperate connection to our ASA and uplink that to a spare port on the ISP's router, they have said they can segregate the link over two ports, one 1 meg, the other 3. If anyone can see any obvious errors in my plan, please let me know. Cheers.

Alex

Sounds like a good idea to totally segregate them especially as the ISP is prepared to segregate the traffic. So you have 2 spare ports on the ASA do you ?

If so bear in mind that routing will be your main issue on the ASA ie. you will have a default-route pointing to the ISP for all internet connectivity at present. You can't just add another default-route so you will need to add specific routes for these people to access their company site.

As for vlanning, it's a fairly straight forward process but it does depend on how your network is setup at the moment. So number of questions i'm afraid -

1) Do you have multiple vlans in your network already

2) where are the L3 vlan interfaces for these vlans ie. are they on the 3750 or the 4500

3) If the 3750 is acting purely as a L2 switch does it connect to the 4500 with a L2 trunk link.

4) How do you manage vlans in terms of VTP ie. is the 4500 a VTP server and the 3750 a vtp client or are they both VTP transparent.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card