Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus manager 5.0.6 bug

k.abillama
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm hitting bug CSCtd49439 detailed below after i upgraded my campus manager to 5.0.6. the workaround didn't work in my case and i need the patch without opening a tac case, where can I find it???

Regards

Data Collection never completes, and UT acquisition  cannot run

Symptom:

Campus Manager Data Collection does  not stop. It is reported as always
running in
Topology Services.  Additionally, User Tracking acquisition does not run due
to XML files 
being written.

Conditions:

This will occur if  there are any standalone Access Points being managed by
Campus
Manager.  Other devices can also cause this (e.g. old 1200 series  switches).

Workaround:

Filter out standalone Access Points  and other affected devices from Campus
Data Collection
under Campus  Manager > Administration > Data Collection > Exclude Devices.

A  patch is available by contacting TAC.

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This patch is only available through TAC.  You need to open a service request to get it.

--

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com

Hello,

I understand I have to open a tac case to get it but the problem is that; being Cisco Gold Partners, my company has a limit on the numbers of tac cases to be opened and there are lots of patches and software that is only available through tac? can I unsertand why? IS this a Cisco Policy?

And In case I need to downgrade the CM to 5.0.5, I'm not finding the software on Cisco Website!

Regards

I cannot answer the question as to why there is an SR limit.  I would think if you are running into a known bug, that should earn you a pass.

As for downgrading, that is not really possible.  You'd have to uninstall Campus, then reinstall it, then repatch.  However, if you choose to go that route, Campus 5.0.5 can be downloaded from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-campus .  I would hope, though, that there is some way you can open the SR without being penalized.

--

"I understand I have to open a tac case to get it but the problem is that; being Cisco Gold Partners, my company has a limit on the numbers of tac cases to be opened and there are lots of patches and software that is only available through tac? can I unsertand why? IS this a Cisco Policy?"

Yes, it is and this is an old discussion with Cisco and I stopped it sometimes in the past; The only argument for you might be - "it is the same for all Cisco partners...."

It has some aspects, I am not sure if Cisco is aware about..
See this situation:
If you have an issue discussing it here on the forum e.g. with jclarke and it reveals to be a LMS bug and jclarke writes a patch for it, it is clear to open a TAC Service Request to get the patch (the patch is not tested yet and TAC needs to have the possibility to keep at least a statistical logging about the issues).
But know the ridiculous part starts - the case will get accounted against your account because the bug ID yet exists. edit: Only  Bug IDs generated during the follow-up of a case won't get accounted. Only if a NEW Bug ID is generated during the follow-up of a Service Request will result in the fact that the SR is not accounted. So beside the fact that you have to deal with parts of LMS which are not working you receicve a kind of penaltiy for helping in making LMS functioning correct....

Once, I stopped informing Cisco about the issues I have found within LMS because of this penalty, but when jclarke started in this forum it was worth again announcing them and discussing those things...- because there is real help and a prospective solution

But I think it is somewhat embarrasing for Cisco to put an imposition on people/companies who found bugs instead of giving somekind of reward or only a short  "Thank you...."

Nachricht geändert durch mermel

hehehe, thanks guys!!!

I think I'll open a case to get the patch!

Thanks for your help

It is not only that Martin,

Many times I've opened a case with the TAC after going through the bugtool finding nothing.

And the TAC guys says instantly; you are running into bug CsC0123456, and I find the very words I was searching on in the bugtool in the bugs description. Bug is visible and all.

I sometimes get the idea the TAC has a need to arteficialy inflate their "resolve" rates.

Very frustrating.

On the other hand, most competitors don't provide the type of tool cisco does.

But I think some people at cisco would preffer to see these tools dissapear as well.Keeping us partners away from the info would be huge advantage for their own managed services.

Cheers,

Michel

I cannot speak to the political nature of our partner relationships.  I can say, though, that TAC is not trying to inflate our resolve stats.  That is one of the main reasons I answer questions on this forum.  I WANT to provide fast answers the way YOU as customers (or partners) want them.  We (Cisco) want you to have a good support experience.  Only when that happens is brand loyalty built.  But these forums are not a replacement for service contracts and TAC.  There are services that TAC can provide that cannot be done here because either they do not scale, or because we need to track access/progress in a centralized system.  Point patches are one of these things.  Difficult problems that require less-than-trivial recreates or remote access are another.

We are actively trying to bring more TAC engineers to CSC because we recognize this is a great way of helping customers in a quick and modern manner.  At the same time, we want to recognize the customers that provide great help on CSC to show them that we appreciate their loyalty and experience.  I would say that if anything, we want to collaborate more with our customers and partners.

--

Hello Joe,

Back to my original post!

I chose to uninstall CM 5.0.6 and install 5.0.5 but 5.0.5 requires that CM 5.0.2 be installed.

I went through the installer of LMS 3.0 to install CM but couldn't do so

I went through the link you sent me and couldn't find the installer for CM 5.0.2, can it be published on the link you sent me? and will CM 5.0.2 require any other dependency?

Your quick answer is highly appreciated!

Thanks

CM 5.0.2 is part of LMS 3.0.1 which can be downloaded at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/lms301 .

Hi Joe,

I do have LMS 3.0.1 installer but when I run it i can't install CM separately, I'll have re reinstall all other modules and I don't want to do this step because I have updates for each module!

Can't I get CM 5.0.2 separately and isn't it an update for CM 5.0, so basically won't I need also CM 5.0???

I also tried to install CM 5.0 through LMS CD but couldn't do i as well separately!!

Regards

No, you can't.  You're actually probably seeing CSCsj94584.  In this case what you need to do is make sure you have a good LMS backup, then uninstall LMS, reinstall 3.0, upgrade to 3.0.1, install 5.0.5, then restore your backup.

Hi Joe,

I first uninstalled 5.0.6 as per your recommendations having in mind that I can reinstall CM 5.0.5 as you mentionned in the previous posts.

I really cannot uninstall the whole applciation in order just to reinstall CM, it's really unaccpetable!!

Kindly suggest another solution, how come i cannot install the CM 5.0 separately!!!

Regards

As I said, you are seeing a bug, and that is why you cannot simply reinstall Campus 5.0.  The bug is fixed in LMS 3.1 and higher.  The bug made it very difficult to reinstall older components when you have already applied patches.  There is another workaround documented in the bug, but it can be tricky, and I would typically caution one to work with TAC to make sure it is done right.  Given the fact that you cannot open a Service Request, I suggested the safer router.  The bug details are:

Symptom:

When LMS is installed and any of the applications are patched, no additional applications can be installed and an error message appears.

For example, the following error message appears

Cannot install CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution(CM). You are trying to
install an earlier CM Version (5.0.0) over a later version (5.0.1).
Cannot install CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution(DFM). You are trying
to install an earlier DFM Version (3.0.0) over a later version (3.0.1).

Conditions:

This occurs when LMS applications are patched after installation, and then a new application is installed.

For example, if Campus Manager and Device Fault Manager are patched to LMS 3.0 December 2007 Update in a CiscoWorks Server, you cannot install Internetwork Performance Monitor 4.0.

Workaround:

1. Modify the .info files for the patched modules under NMSROOT/setup and set the value of PATCHVER in these files to their original value of 0.

2. Install the new application on CiscoWorks Server.

3. Reset the values of PATCHVER to their patched versions after the installation is complete.

Hi Joe,

Thx for the info!

I already opened a tac case and appreciate if you can monitor it closely!

Case number: 614132679

Thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: