Views
Helpful
Replies

Line card detection failures

maverik18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Iam quite new to Cisco and even aftr a lot of searching around I am confused regarding certain issues. I wanted to know, after insertion of a line card in a slot, if the insertion is not done properly or for some reason (faulty line card) the line card is not getting detected, will there be a system message logged to notify us abt that issue?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ganesh. I have a system message %LC-3-EMPTYSLOT : No line card in slot [[000092]]. I want to know will this msg be logged only when a user is trying to do some config. on this line card to intimate the user? Or will it be logged as an informational msg otherwise also?

Thnx

Hi,

It will be logged as informational message in your console or in syslog server because it device failure messages from switch as system message to server,if you want to track a user is doing some configuration changes in switches then you need to enbale aaa accounting along with integartion of cisco ACS with cisco switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Iam quite new to Cisco and even aftr a lot of searching around I am confused regarding certain issues. I wanted to know, after insertion of a line card in a slot, if the insertion is not done properly or for some reason (faulty line card) the line card is not getting detected, will there be a system message logged to notify us abt that issue?

Thanks

Hi,

If you have configured logging level as informational then if anything goes wrong on the module or any port up/down it will be logged and will send a message to syslog server which you need to configure in your switch as logging host ip address.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Thanks a lot Ganesh. One final question though, will the system message be logged only when a user is trying to configure a faulty line card (or a missing line card) or in general there are some hardware detection signals which lead to the logging of these messages?

Thanks a lot Ganesh. One final question though, will the system message be logged only when a user is trying to configure a faulty line card (or a missing line card) or in general there are some hardware detection signals which lead to the logging of these messages?

Hi,

By default, the router logs anything at the level of debugging and greater. That means that logging occurs from level 7 (debugging) up to level 0 (emergencies). If you want to par down what the system logs, use something like the logging console notifications command.

Check out the below link on logging of syslog messages that will clear your requirement and will help you to select the loggin level to identify any problem in router or in switch.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6084442.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh. I have a system message %LC-3-EMPTYSLOT : No line card in slot [[000092]]. I want to know will this msg be logged only when a user is trying to do some config. on this line card to intimate the user? Or will it be logged as an informational msg otherwise also?

Thnx

Thnx

Hi,

It will be logged as informational message in your console or in syslog server because it device failure messages from switch as system message to server,if you want to track a user is doing some configuration changes in switches then you need to enbale aaa accounting along with integartion of cisco ACS with cisco switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Thnx for the answer Ganesh. That was v helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: