cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch configuration for ESX host NIC Teaming

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

There are many ESX hosts in our network environment. As default,we configure two NICs on ESX hosts as Teaming for Active/Active mode

. We also set up etherchannel on the switch end. They are working fine.

Like the following configurations:

interface Port-channel6
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,86
switchport mode trunk

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 6 mode on

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/19
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 6 mode on

But the right now they would like yo change NICs teaming as Active/Standby mode on ESX host.Could you please let me konw how to change switch end? Should we still use etherchannel for it? Thanks for your two cents!

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HWangLoyalty wrote:

There are many ESX hosts in our network environment. As default,we configure two NICs on ESX hosts as Teaming for Active/Active mode

But the right now they would like yo change NICs teaming as Active/Standby mode on ESX host.Could you please let me konw how to change switch end? Should we still use etherchannel for it? Thanks for your two cents!

If the 2 NICs are connected to the same switch then you can't use etherchannel, you will have to configure them as separate L2 trunks. Ideally if you are using active/standby you want the NICs to be going to 2 separate switches which are interconnected via a L2 trunk.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Thanks for your quick reponse. Right now the NICs in the Teaming are connected to different stack member switch. But it is logical one switch. So the A/A mode is working to us with etherchannel.

According to your suggestion, I rquire to remove the port-channel and keep the trunk settings if we still keep the current port connection, is it right?

Thanks again!

HWangLoyalty wrote:

Thanks for your quick reponse. Right now the NICs in the Teaming are connected to different stack member switch. But it is logical one switch. So the A/A mode is working to us with etherchannel.

According to your suggestion, I rquire to remove the port-channel and keep the trunk settings if we still keep the current port connection, is it right?

Thanks again!

Yes you need to break up the etherchannel but still configure both server links as L2 trunks.

Jon

Thanks, I will let you know if it is working tomorrow.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card