cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Data from Unity 4.0.5 to 4.2.1

gslabbert
Level 1
Level 1

I have to the Unity data from a old Unity 4.0.5 box that is dying to a new Unity box which is licensed and has no Unity software on it currently, but will have 4.2.1.

Can I do the following ...

1. Run DbWalker

2. Run DiRT

3. Install the EXACT old version (4.0.5) onto the new Server

4. Run DiRT (Restore)

5. Run upgrade to 4.2.1

or  ...

Is there a simpler and faster way ?

TIA

Gavin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gavin,

I can tell you from experience that the word "upgrade" when used in the same sentence as Unity is a misnomer.  Since you are on 4.0(5), your system will support the COBRAS method for doing this upgrade.  There are some manual configurations you will need to make on your new server prior to the Import as well as some additional manual items to be done after the Import (based on your system configuration, that is).  However, this method is much faster than the DiRT method.  With that approach, your logic is correct.  However, once you have the new system built as 4.0(5) - you will ultimately end up doing an in-place "rebuild" to get to the target version.  Granted, your prep work will already be done but you'll still need to run all of the steps such as Permissions Wizard and etc. even though they have already been done in the 4.0(5) build as that is something the Unity installer will look for in 4.2 before it lets you install.  I have used COBRAS on a number of occassions with great success.

Give the COBRAS material a look and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

Gavin,

If you are installing the new Unity server into the same AD domain (I assume this is the case for you), you'll also need to use the GSM tool to "move" subscriber references from the old server to the new. Here is the info you need for that:

Here are the abbreviated steps (primarily for GSM). Assumption is you have already run your COBRAS Export.

TASK

DETAILS

Establish a Dialing Domain Between the 4x and 7x Unity Servers

On both the Unity 4x and 7x servers, go to Network > Primary Location . Enter a Dial ID (must be at least 3 digits) and then under Dialing Domain, enter a name (e.g., UnderArmour).

The Dial ID is arbitrary as this is only to enable GSM to move users. You could enter 123 on one server and 456 on the other. The Dialing Domain name; however, MUST be the same on both servers.

Share the Streams Folder on both the 4x and 7x Unity Servers

On both the Unity 4x and 7x servers, go to the CommServer\Stream Files folder. Right click and choose Properties > Sharing > Share this folder.

Hit Apply and then OK.

Enter the Sharing properties of the Stream Files folder again. Select Permissions > Add.

The user running GSM must be given Full Control of the Share on each folder (e.g., UnityInstall). Alternatively, you can grant full control to Local Administrators (all Service Accounts were added to this group in a previous step).

Use GSM to Move Subscribers to the 7x Server

On the 4x server, ensure that all the Unity Service Accounts are members of the local administrators group.

This should already be done from the previous install. If not, add the users now.

On the 4x server, open Unity Tools Depot > Global Subscriber Manager.

You will see a Global view that contains the Dialing Domain (as named previously) and then the servers within the dialing domain. You will automatically be connected to the local server (4x) and should see a list of Subscribers in the middle pane.

Highlight the first Subscriber and using CTRL and/or SHIFT, select all of the Subscribers on the 4x server to be moved to the 7x server.

DO NOT SELECT the local Eadmin user associated with the server. If there are any users, you do not need to move (i.e., retired, gone, etc) then do not select the user.

Once the Subscribers are selected, right click and select Move Subscribers.

You should receive a Move Object Wizard dialog that says “All selected subscribers appear to be capable of being moved.” Click Next.

If there are any errors, they will need to be investigated before the user can be moved.

Select the destination system (7x) from the list. Click Next.

A warning tells you that you are moving multiple subscribers and that no administration should take place on either box during this time. Click OK.

The Move Object Wizard asks how you want to handle items that affect objects on the source system as the Subscribers are moved. See Details for the objects you will have to answer on and the default selections.

1) Caller Input Keys - Ignore Key

2) After Message/Interview Action - Hang up

3) After Greeting - Hang up

4) Subscriber Conversation Exit Action - Hang up

5) Directory Handler Action (Send To) - Hang up

Select an owner for non-moved objects - Subscriber or Public Distribution Lists.

Recommend Eadmin

Select recipient for non-moved objects.

Recommend Eadmin

Click Next (twice).

You now must answer questions regarding the destination system.

Select a Class of Service for the new subscribers.

Select a schedule.

Review the options in the Perform Move box and then click next.

Click Finish and then Yes to view the Move Report.

Ensure that there were no errors.

A message warns that the moved subscribers won’t show up in GSM on the new system until replication has completed. Click OK.

Verify GSM Move

Open SA on the 7x system, search for Subscribers and verify 4x users are now there.

Open SA on the 4x system, search for Subscribers and verify that the users have been moved.

Import Data to Unity via COBRAS

Install and Run COBRAS Import

Hailey

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, that will work. The other option you have is to use COBRAS and do

an export from the 4.0(5) system, then do a COBRAS import onto the new

4.2(1) since COBRAS does not have the 1:1 version requirement that DiRT

does.

COBRAS information:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/COBRAS.html

Hope that helps,

Brad

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My experience is that Unity upgrades typically involve a new system build (like the one you are navigating here). I think that you may seem some efficiency gains if you look at using COBRAS instead of DiRT. You still want to run dbWalker as a pre-req of course, but COBRAS will allow you to build the new Unity server directly to 4.2 and then restore from the COBRAS backup. There are some trade-offs but it definitely minimizes the number of major steps. Long and short, it is worth your time to consider.

Version support info for COBRAS:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm#_Toc254938530

Help file (top): http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm

Where to download: http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/COBRAS.html

There are actually some really handy videos in the download link that will give you a fast track to understanding COBRAS.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight, I will use COBRAS and see what I get.

Gavin

Gavin,

I can tell you from experience that the word "upgrade" when used in the same sentence as Unity is a misnomer.  Since you are on 4.0(5), your system will support the COBRAS method for doing this upgrade.  There are some manual configurations you will need to make on your new server prior to the Import as well as some additional manual items to be done after the Import (based on your system configuration, that is).  However, this method is much faster than the DiRT method.  With that approach, your logic is correct.  However, once you have the new system built as 4.0(5) - you will ultimately end up doing an in-place "rebuild" to get to the target version.  Granted, your prep work will already be done but you'll still need to run all of the steps such as Permissions Wizard and etc. even though they have already been done in the 4.0(5) build as that is something the Unity installer will look for in 4.2 before it lets you install.  I have used COBRAS on a number of occassions with great success.

Give the COBRAS material a look and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Hailey

As I progress thruough this migration I have a few more questions if you guys dont mind ?

1. What is the sequence of of events?

I have run DBWalker

I have run Cobras Export tool

I have installed the new version of of Unity (4.2.1)

At what point do I run the permissions tool ?

Am I missing any steps ?

Can I do this migration with the old Unity box still up and running and in production or do I need to shut it down prior to running COBRAS IMPORT?

and if so at what will the 16 voicemal ports do on the new box while the old box is still in production.

I would like to build the new new off the production network and once complete plug it in and turn it on, disconnect the old Unity box and have everything reconnect to the new Unity box. Is this possible ?

I have been through the videos that are included in the Ciscounitytools for COBRAS but tey refer to Connection 7 or Unity 7, how different is the COBRAS Import tool functionality for the versionof Unity that I am running.

Thanks for the help

Gavin

Gavin,

If you are installing the new Unity server into the same AD domain (I assume this is the case for you), you'll also need to use the GSM tool to "move" subscriber references from the old server to the new. Here is the info you need for that:

Here are the abbreviated steps (primarily for GSM). Assumption is you have already run your COBRAS Export.

TASK

DETAILS

Establish a Dialing Domain Between the 4x and 7x Unity Servers

On both the Unity 4x and 7x servers, go to Network > Primary Location . Enter a Dial ID (must be at least 3 digits) and then under Dialing Domain, enter a name (e.g., UnderArmour).

The Dial ID is arbitrary as this is only to enable GSM to move users. You could enter 123 on one server and 456 on the other. The Dialing Domain name; however, MUST be the same on both servers.

Share the Streams Folder on both the 4x and 7x Unity Servers

On both the Unity 4x and 7x servers, go to the CommServer\Stream Files folder. Right click and choose Properties > Sharing > Share this folder.

Hit Apply and then OK.

Enter the Sharing properties of the Stream Files folder again. Select Permissions > Add.

The user running GSM must be given Full Control of the Share on each folder (e.g., UnityInstall). Alternatively, you can grant full control to Local Administrators (all Service Accounts were added to this group in a previous step).

Use GSM to Move Subscribers to the 7x Server

On the 4x server, ensure that all the Unity Service Accounts are members of the local administrators group.

This should already be done from the previous install. If not, add the users now.

On the 4x server, open Unity Tools Depot > Global Subscriber Manager.

You will see a Global view that contains the Dialing Domain (as named previously) and then the servers within the dialing domain. You will automatically be connected to the local server (4x) and should see a list of Subscribers in the middle pane.

Highlight the first Subscriber and using CTRL and/or SHIFT, select all of the Subscribers on the 4x server to be moved to the 7x server.

DO NOT SELECT the local Eadmin user associated with the server. If there are any users, you do not need to move (i.e., retired, gone, etc) then do not select the user.

Once the Subscribers are selected, right click and select Move Subscribers.

You should receive a Move Object Wizard dialog that says “All selected subscribers appear to be capable of being moved.” Click Next.

If there are any errors, they will need to be investigated before the user can be moved.

Select the destination system (7x) from the list. Click Next.

A warning tells you that you are moving multiple subscribers and that no administration should take place on either box during this time. Click OK.

The Move Object Wizard asks how you want to handle items that affect objects on the source system as the Subscribers are moved. See Details for the objects you will have to answer on and the default selections.

Select an owner for non-moved objects - Subscriber or Public Distribution Lists.

Recommend Eadmin

Select recipient for non-moved objects.

Recommend Eadmin

Click Next (twice).

You now must answer questions regarding the destination system.

Select a Class of Service for the new subscribers.

Select a schedule.

Review the options in the Perform Move box and then click next.

Click Finish and then Yes to view the Move Report.

Ensure that there were no errors.

A message warns that the moved subscribers won’t show up in GSM on the new system until replication has completed. Click OK.

Verify GSM Move

Open SA on the 7x system, search for Subscribers and verify 4x users are now there.

Open SA on the 4x system, search for Subscribers and verify that the users have been moved.

Import Data to Unity via COBRAS

Install and Run COBRAS Import

Hailey

Thanks Hailey ... without question you have been EXTREMELY helpful and I truly appreciate the time and effort

one last question ...

Are these steps the same when you migrate from Unity 4.0(5) to Unity 4.2(1) ?

Yeah, they should be the same. COBRAS follows a wizard menu and is pretty uniform as far as the Export goes. The only difference in operation comes into play when you import into Unity Connection. Since you cannot install Windows-based tools on the CUC server, you need an interim device that you install Informix drivers and the COBRAS Import tools onto. In your case, this doesn't apply.

Hailey

The site that I am doing the migration for has misplaced the Data Store disc and the Message Store discs. I have contacted Cisco TAC and was told that I could use the discs from Unity 4.0.5 which I did.

I installed SQL2000 successfully but am unable to install SP4 which generates the following error message

"Error Running Script SP1_Serv_Uni.Sql"

I have found reference to a hotfix which is in SP4 but SP4 will not install

Ideas or Suggestions Please

Gavin

I spoke to Microsoft and they have provided me with the hotfix for this issue

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/SQL%20Server%202000/sp4/Shiloh_SP4_Setup/08.00.0000.00/free/270328_intl_i386_zip.exe

As I move deeper into this migration I have found that the Exchange Server is remotely connected via a GIG trunk and Cisco TAC is OK with that,

My question is with the Exchange Server being remote do I still have to run the COBRAS export and import tools. (I have run the EXPORT tool) and have the data, I will run the GSM to move the users, but unless there a real need for me to run the COBRAS import tool I would prefer not to do it.

Thanks

Gavin

Well, when you move the users via GSM - you're only associating users to a new server. You're not moving any data. You also are not moving any data related to Call Handlers and etc. In other words, your 4.2.1 system is pretty much new. So, you have 2 options - you do the DiRT rebuild approach (which would require you to rebuild the new system to exact rev of 4.0(5) and then restore from DiRT and then in-place upgrade/reinstall to 4.2.1. OR, you use COBRAS to move as much data as possible over to the new system and skip the dual upgrade required with DiRT.

Hailey

Thanks David, I will run COBRAS Import as I have the data already.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: