Restoring the CUCM to factory settings

Unanswered Question
Apr 5th, 2010

Hi,

Can we restore the CUCM to factory settings thru BARS.

I checked the link for restoring where in its mention about restoring CUCM in following scenarios

Restoring Node or Cluster to a Last Known Good Configuration (No Rebuild)

Restoring the First Node only (Rebuilding the Publisher Alone)

Restoring the Entire Cluster (Rebulding Publisher and Subscribers)

Restoring Subsequent Cluster Nodes (With or Without Rebuild)

regds,

Navin Golani

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
David Hailey Mon, 04/05/2010 - 10:15

That depends on what is available in your backup.  If you have a backup of the system before you configured it, then yes.  If not, then no - you'd need to rebuild.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Jaime Valencia Mon, 04/05/2010 - 11:05

There really is no method for "factory default" or "factory settings" when you talk about CUCM. You need to reinstall the system.

I haven't tried what Hailey mentions, but i believe you'd end up with the exact same config. BARS wouldn't wipe clean what you have, but rather add stuff. If you have a BARS with nothing, nothing would change.

Even if there was a method, i'd still suggest a reinstall to really wipe all.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

William Bell Mon, 04/05/2010 - 11:30

Well, I agree there is no factory default restoration process and I also agree that even if you could clean the CM configs you still would have other things lingering. However, since we are talking BARS I can assure you that BARS writes over the data in the existing database. It isn't additive. I have done this on 4x systems in the past to "clean" the system. Primarily in a lab setup where I was being lazy;-)

I haven't tested this with DRS though, but I was under the assumption it would be the same deal.

While we are on the topic. You have to keep in mind a few items with respect to BARS

1. The version of BARS that created the backup file should be the same version used to restore.

2. The version of the CM server that you are restoring too should be the same as what was backed up.

3. Related to #2, the database name (e.g. CCM0300) should be the same (if you are sticking to #2, #3 is covered)

Again, we are talking about BARS which is a 3x/4x product. So, the likelihood of having a clean BARS backup file is slim. Even if you do, the likelihood you have the same version of CM and BARS running the system is even more remote.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Bill

Actions

This Discussion