cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESW's expansion port configuration

stacy.thompson
Level 3
Level 3

I am being told by our technical staff that we configure the expansion port/smartport on the ESW switches as "access point" when connecting other switches to it.

It was explained to me that if we connect a nonCisco switch to the ESW, we do this so it will pass CDP and all traffic back and forth without shutting the port down for any reason.  We also do this when connecting Cisco or Linksys switches to the ESW as we have seen the SPA5xx handsets get their IP's from the data network instead of the voice network unless that exp port/smartport is set as an access point.

Is anyone else experiencing these same scenarios?  Are we missing something? Is there a better way to do this or is this the Cisco recommended set up- make the port an access point?

Thank you,

Stacy

10 Replies 10

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

I haven't tested anything from the rest of this post, but on the phone specifically, there is a bug in some of the older firmware versions where they get an IP from the data vlan.  Fixed in the most recent version.

What version still has the bug ? and what's the most recent? I thought 7.4.3 was the most recent for SPA5xx ...

Does the firmware for those phones differ from a UC520 to a UC540 and 560 ?

7.4.3 has the fix.  I don't recall the exact version that this was broken in, but till the phone upgrades, you could have this problem with that phone.  The firmware is the same for all UC500 devices.

It appears that is the firmware being run... ( looking in GUI). See anything wrong ?

loads.png

That looks correct, but that isn't necessarily what the phones are running.  That is what they are configured to run.  To see what the phones are actually running...

show ephone phone-load

They have several phone types out there... but it appears some are running an older firmware 7.0.3.3

We'll narrow it down to what specific phones with issues are running when we go on site next week.

UC560#sh ephone phone-load
DeviceName        CurrentPhoneload       PreviousPhoneload      LastReset
=====================================================================
SEP0018B9FFD3D8   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Cold+BackupIP
SEP0011113D0E71    7.0.3.3                7.0.3.3               Initialized
SEP0026998D245A   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Hard+Unknown
SEP0018B9FFD3E3   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Hard+Unknown
SEP0018B9FFD34A   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Cold+CMERequest
SEP0018B9FFD358   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Hard+Unknown
SEP001C25580288    7.0.3.3                7.0.3.3               Initialized
SEP001320D7BA09    7.0.3.3                7.0.3.3               Initialized
SEP002584D8C7F2   7.4.3                                         Cold+CMERequest
SEP0026998D2584   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Hard+Unknown
SEP001320C01E5C    7.0.3.3                7.0.3.3               Initialized
SEP002584D8C87B   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Cold+ConfigChan
SEP0018B9FFD344   7.4.3                  7.4.3                  Hard+Unknown
BROMLEY_UC560#

Are those IP Communicator's?

Yes!  Yep - they have 4 CIPC's (did have 5 but one user hated it).

So then I am running 7.4.3 and those phones still get DHCP from the data vlan ?!

I don't think we have the exp port/smart port configured as access point like we normally do, so that was the change we were going to make on site next week to prevent the 5xx phones from getting a data IP.

Any suggestions or ideas on if that's good or bad ? Just wanted Cisco to know what we're seeing and doing in the field.

Stacy

Outside of the bug, I haven't seen this problem.  I would make sure that the port was setup as phone+desktop. 

dprzywara
Level 4
Level 4

I've had the same problem on installs.  I do what your technical staff suggested and always make ports that uplink to the customers network access ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: