Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WCS and Apple iPAD

sudip.acharya1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an iPad that i am trying to connect to our wireless network but it just sits at the authentcation page.

My iPhone connects to the same network with out any issues.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Can you try with no authentication first?

You can run debugs on your cisco WLC if you have WLC or your Cisco wireless router and see where it fails.

I dont think this is any related to WCS. Perhaps you mean WLC: Wireless Lan Controller.

I do see issues with the ipad wireless:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36223698/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

"Many times the only way (I) can get it to return is by disabling the Wi-Fi connection completely and then reenabling it ... retyping the (Wi-Fi) password and all "

You may want to contact apple. If you get logs from your cisco controllers we can pin point what is failing.

I got it to work today.

I setup my controller with WPA2 with AES and a radius server. The ipad prompted to accept a certificate, which i did and i was surfing in no time.

On my WinXP laptop, i had to specify PEAP.

Once connected, i was to confirm both clients were secure using PEAP.

Question - we authenticate the same way no problem.  BUT - we can't get to iTunes or the app Store.  EVERYTHING else works.  Does it work for you?  Any one have ideas ?  Does Apple send those sites over the phone network instead with Split Tunneling??

I dont see how split tunnelling can be involved here: the ipad version is only WIFI for now. There is no 3g IPAD sold yet.

So it can only send the data over wifi.

As far as why the itunes / app store does not work but everything else does, can you try on another wifi network or on another device on the same network, such as an iphone and compare? (turn the 3g off the iphone, by going to airplane mode, and enable only wifi to make a comparable test).

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com

At home wifi network, without Cisco vpn client loaded, it works fine (everything, including iTunes and app Store).  We did try setting a proxy (our firewall), and that didn't work either.  If you shadow an apple desktop, it works.  That's the only way.  We can't get it to work on its own.  IPhones have no problems getting there, but good idea - we will try disabling 3G and see if that changes the iPhone capability.  Any thing we could check on the VPN ASA the clients land on?  It never seems to see the traffic to iTunes; nor does our checkpoint border firewall.  Seems the traffic is not on our network, which is why I suspect 3G. 

CONFIRMED!  iPhone in airplane mode (no 3G) is not working to iTunes or app store either when VPN is loaded!  So --- something in the cisco vpn

client on these devices MUST be setup to do split tunneling.  Anyone have insight into how that works?  If it's configurable at all?

I havent tried. I'll try that out soon.

Any firewalls? Proxy?

Checkout this forum response.

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/itunes/cannot-connect-to-itunes-store-13052.html

See my responses above.  Just realized they are not at the bottom as the latest info.  I have confirmed with Cisco that Apple owns the client code.  It's been sold to apple and retrofited by apple.  So we are leaning on them.  Anyone has this working I'd love to hear about it!

lirvine
Level 1
Level 1

I am also having the same problem.  I can connect to the corporate wireless VLAN (WPA2 Enterprise) without any problem but when connecting to the Cisco Guest access vlan the authentication page displays but does not accept the submit button after putting in the credentials.  I have seen this same issue at the Cisco corporate offices on the guest network.

Anyone else seeing this?

Lane

Hi I have had the same problem reported to me today

Just found a few pointers on the apple site referancing the same issues with Cisco Guest networks

suggested fix is to turn of the auto form fill in safari preferances

I have not tested this but maybe worth a go

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: