Views
Helpful
Replies

Natting virual IP of MS Exchange Cluster

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

I wanted to know whether creating a static translation for a virtual IP representing clustered MS Exchange 2003 servers actually works or needs to be done in a different way. I have tried when the servers are in DMZ or inside of the ASA 5520 but the result is the same, no communication. I just want to know that fundamentally translating a virtual IP is viable or not, so I know where to proceed after that.

All help is appreciated

Regards,

Mo Shea

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I don't see why doing a 1-to-1 static NAT for a virtual IP would be a problem.

If you do STATIC PAT, you can have issues, but with STATIC NAT I don't see why.

What's exactly the issue that you're facing?

Federico.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mo

I just want to know that fundamentally translating a virtual IP is viable or not, so I know where to proceed after that.

There is no reason why it cannot be done as long as you are not changing port numbers as Federico says. We have done this with VIPs for http farms before and it works fine.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

I don't see why doing a 1-to-1 static NAT for a virtual IP would be a problem.

If you do STATIC PAT, you can have issues, but with STATIC NAT I don't see why.

What's exactly the issue that you're facing?

Federico.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mo

I just want to know that fundamentally translating a virtual IP is viable or not, so I know where to proceed after that.

There is no reason why it cannot be done as long as you are not changing port numbers as Federico says. We have done this with VIPs for http farms before and it works fine.

Jon

Thanks for the feedback,

I checked the setup again (its actually for a customer) and it seems they have installed a Bluecoat appliance infront of the ASA, probably have to review its configuration. All MS Exchange cluster setups that I had done before were published on MS ISA, the latter being natted by the ASA, but this setup is a little bit different. I will post the outcome once the setup is up and running.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card