cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 dropping internet connection constantly

ypak20000
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco RVS4000 router. I notice that internet connection dropps frequently continously throughout the day. It has became worse after upgrading to the latest firmware (1.3.1.0) /IPS signature (1.4.1).It looks like it is dropping the connection every 10-20 minutes. I've reset MTU to manual and set at 1492, 1472, 1452, 1497, etc with no avail. It continously drops connection.

Also, status page doesn't display connection data correctly either. It would display it's connected eventhough connection was lost.

What is going on with this router ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

Since the problem is occuring every 10-20 minutes I would recommend doing a test where you turn off IPS.  See if the problem continues.

Without looking at logs your most likely cause is one of the following:

1) IPS is stopping traffic

2) Collisions or other line static are causing dropped packets

If you do the IPS test and you still have issues then the next test, if you haven't done this, is to check for packet loss internally.  Run a packet sniffer to determine what type of traffic is the problem.  To rule out inside interferance you should disconnect the internet and then perform a packet trace internally.  Watch the inside traffic and look for collisions or static.

If you do the isolated inside test and have no loss then you have no choice but to turn on as many options as possible for logging on the device at the debug level and go thru the logs to find out where the traffic is being dropped to the outside.  This conbined with a more packet tracing/sniffering will reveal where the problem is.

Now if you can not do the isolated inside test then I would skip to the full debug step.  The key is to identify the point of failure and I wouldn't assume that if the device says the interface remains up and working that the interface is the issue.

Another option to consider is to ask your ISP for the tracking portal information.  Generally ISP providers will give business class customers a portal login to view their bandwith useage.  One final option is that the ISP has a problem or that you are utalizing your bandwith and capping out.

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Ryan - Thanks for the info. I will try that and see.

I did notice few interesting entries in the log.:

Apr 9 09:43:37 - [VPN Log]: Using KLIPS IPsec interface code on 2.4.27-star
Apr 9 09:43:37 - [VPN Log]: Changing to directory '/etc/ipsec.d/cacerts'
Apr 9 09:43:37 - [VPN Log]: Changing to directory '/etc/ipsec.d/aacerts'
Apr 9 09:43:37 - [VPN Log]: Changing to directory '/etc/ipsec.d/ocspcerts'
Apr 9 09:43:37 - [VPN Log]: Changing to directory '/etc/ipsec.d/crls'
Apr 9 09:43:37 - [VPN Log]: Warning: empty directory

Apr 9 09:43:41 - Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Apr 9 09:43:42 - Connection terminated.
Apr 9 09:43:42 - Connect time 0.7 minutes.
Apr 9 09:43:42 - Sent 3738 bytes, received 4402 bytes.
Apr 9 09:43:42 - Doing disconnect
Apr 9 09:43:43 - IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down.
Apr 9 09:43:43 - Exit.

Apr 9 09:44:35 - IPSEC EVENT: KLIPS device ipsec0 shut down.

I love logs.

With a log entry of "Serial link appears to be disconnected" the ISP bandwith just moved up to the top of my list.  I have seen routers show that error when people are capping out the bandwith.  When you check the ISP bandwith monitor you will be able to verify that.

If you still can't identify the problem after doing the failure point test method I posted before then the next series of questions focus on when the problem started, but really it is just to choose between firmware problems and router failure as the source.  Hopefully neither of these are true and there is a much happier ending to this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card