LMS 2.6: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host

Answered Question
Apr 5th, 2010
User Badges:

We recently changed the SNMP String to our network devices... and now on our 6509 switches the following error messages are populating the logs.

Apr 2 14:05:49.594 CDT: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host 199.103.13.209

Apr 2 14:06:52.775 CDT: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host 199.103.13.209

Apr 2 14:14:13.037 CDT: %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL: Authentication failure for SNMP req from host 199.103.13.209

DCR was successfully updated with the new strings and Check Device credential jobs complete successfully without error.

There appears to be apart of LMS holding on to and using the old string for the 6509's. Attached is a packet capture of LMS using the old string on a 6509. Can you please assist in the isolation/correcting this issue. Thanks in advance.

Windows Server 2003 SP2

CiscoWorks Common Services 3.0.6

Campus Manager 4.0.6

CiscoView 6.1.5

Device Fault Manager 2.0.6

Resource Manager Essentials 4.0.6

Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 6 years 11 months ago

Shutdown Daemon Manager, then delete NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/repos/icf/DFM.log.  Then restart, and see if the problem goes away.

Overall Rating: 5 (6 ratings)
carperez Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:50
User Badges:

The issue definitely appears to be related to DFM.... I stopped the DFM process and the authfail errors cleared. Looking at DFM I was unable to locate a configuration setting that housed the old SNMP string. Where does DFM obtain the SNMP string that it uses for polling? Thanks in advance

Joe Clarke Tue, 04/06/2010 - 14:43
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

This data is stored in a binary database-like file.  It cannot be edited.  However, I think it will get updated simply by restarting Daemon Manager.  Are you not seeing this?

carperez Fri, 04/09/2010 - 09:26
User Badges:

The daemon has been stopped and restarted a couple of times and the error authfail messages reappear in the logs once teh daemon restarts. The only workaround I have found so far is stopping the DFM server process. Is there a way to clear DFM database file completely? Thanks

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Fri, 04/09/2010 - 23:38
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Shutdown Daemon Manager, then delete NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/repos/icf/DFM.log.  Then restart, and see if the problem goes away.

Calin Chiorean Tue, 03/20/2012 - 02:05
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

I have the same issue and I will try your solution to see if it's working. I would really appreciate an answer from the person which open this case to know if it's working or not.

Thanks!

carperez Tue, 03/27/2012 - 06:50
User Badges:

Yes, Joe's solution did resolve the issue. Here are the steps I used to clearup the authfail messages.

Stop Ciscoworks daemon manager

net stop crmdmgtd

navigate to the below path and rename DFM.rps to DFM.old

NMSROOT\objects\smarts\local\repos\icf

Restart Ciscoworks daemon manager

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content