Views
Helpful
Replies

|HWIC problem

Ahmed Chowdhury
Level 1
Level 1

hi its tanvi,

i have a 2821 router with two HWIC card.the prob is that when i connected with one port of 1st HWIC then it works fine.but i cant connect or ping one port of 2nd HWIC.it seems that when 1st HWIC is connected then 2nd HWIC card acts as standby or somthing. there r some people who provides me the solution of Stacking but i dont want to do that.is there any way to work with the two HWIC card simultaneously without stacking.if u have any suggestions then pls provide me.it wiil be a great help. thanks in advanceeeeee...............

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you tell us what HWIC you are having problems with?  What is the IOS version?  What is the result during the bootup of the router?

Its an HWIC-4ESW card. IOS 12.4 or later and when i put sh ip int br then it show all the HWIC ports(4 ports*2 HWIC=8 ports).

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to stack or it won't work.

Restrictions for EtherSwitch HWICs

The following restrictions apply to the Cisco HWIC-4ESW and the  Cisco HWIC-D-9ESW EtherSwitch HWICs:

No more than two Ethernet Switch HWICs  or network modules may be installed in a host router.

Multiple Ethernet Switch HWICs or network modules installed in a host  router will not act independently of each other. They must be stacked,  as they will not work at all otherwise.

The ports of a Cisco EtherSwitch HWIC  must NOT be connected to the Fast Ethernet/Gigabit onboard ports of the  router.

There is no inline power on the ninth  port (port 8) of the HWIC-D-9ESW card.

There is no Auto MDIX support on the  ninth port (port 8) of the HWIC-D-9ESW card when either speed or duplex is  not set to auto.

There is no support for online  insertion/removal (OIR) of the EtherSwitch HWICs.

When Ethernet Switches have been  installed and configured in a host router, OIR of the CompactFlash  memory card in the router must not occur. OIR of the CompactFlash memory  card will compromise the configuration of the Ethernet Switches.

VTP pruning is not supported.

There is a limit of 200 secure MAC  addresses per module that can be supported by an EtherSwitch HWIC.

Maximum traffic for a secure MAC  address is 8 Mb/s.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card