cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What are the problems with reassembling at the destination?

levijj0909
Level 1
Level 1

I am new in this area, I have questions about reassenbling at the destination as the topic, and another one is

Why is reassembly done at the ultimate destination instead of inside the network?

I m looking for someone can help me. Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The two main problems are -

1) if one or more of the fragments get lost then the entire packet has to be retransmitted from the source.

2) fragmentation uses up memory buffers on the device doing the reassembly because the packet cannot be forwarded up the protocol stack on the receiving machine until all the fragments have been received and reassembled.

Jon

View solution in original post

Hi Ganesh.H

Thank u so much. It really gives me idea!!

Hi,

That Great the post is helpful,it will be great if you rate the helpful post and mark as answered if your query is resolved,so that others also get beniffited from this thread.

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

levijj0909 wrote:

I am new in this area, I have questions about reassenbling at the destination as the topic, and another one is

Why is reassembly done at the ultimate destination instead of inside the network?

I m looking for someone can help me. Thanks!

Primarily it is done at the destination because once you have fragmented the packet there is little point in reassembling it if further down the path you have to fragment it again. That would be a waste of router resources.

Jon

Hi Jon

I have another question which is as the topic, What are the problems with reassembling at the destination? Could you please give me an explaination in detail? Thx!

Hi Jon

I have another question which is as the topic, What are the problems with reassembling at the destination? Could you please give me an explaination in detail? Thx!

Hi,

As packets transversing their own paths through the network, until such time as the packets are reassembled at the destination client and you are well aware TCP is also known as a connection-oriented protocol, TCP is responsible for ensuring that a message is divided into the packets that IP manages and for reassembling the packets back into the complete message at the other end.TCP requires that all packets are received prior to reassembly at the client, any missing packets could cause the streaming application running at the client to be paused due to the lack of data.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh.H

Hi,

That Great the post is helpful,it will be great if you rate the helpful post and mark as answered if your query is resolved,so that others also get beniffited from this thread.

Ganesh.H

The two main problems are -

1) if one or more of the fragments get lost then the entire packet has to be retransmitted from the source.

2) fragmentation uses up memory buffers on the device doing the reassembly because the packet cannot be forwarded up the protocol stack on the receiving machine until all the fragments have been received and reassembled.

Jon

Hi Jon

I have to say u r professional!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card