Views
Helpful
Replies

Planning a Vlan segregation

ifabrizio
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am planning to create a vlan for each factory department, the main issue is that there are up to 500 Pcs on the some Vlan.

So I need to know which pc belongs to which department, in order to do this I think to use the DHCP database that give the information's about the MAC Address and the PC Name, than I will merge  it with the mac address table on the 13 switches that gives the information's about the MAC Address and the port where the PC is connected.Finally I will merge it with another database that gives to me the information's about PC name and employed Name.

This is as you see a boring job, there are other quickly ways to obtain  the same result?

Best Regards

Igor.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ifabrizio wrote:

Dear All,

I am planning to create a vlan for each factory department, the main issue is that there are up to 500 Pcs on the some Vlan.

So I need to know which pc belongs to which department, in order to do this I think to use the DHCP database that give the information's about the MAC Address and the PC Name, than I will merge  it with the mac address table on the 13 switches that gives the information's about the MAC Address and the port where the PC is connected.Finally I will merge it with another database that gives to me the information's about PC name and employed Name.

This is as you see a boring job, there are other quickly ways to obtain  the same result?

Best Regards

Igor.

Igor

There really isn't a quicker way of doing this unfortunately. If you really do need to segregate via dept. then you will have to go through the sort of procedure you have outlined.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear All,

Best Regards

Igor.

Hi Igor,

It looks to be boring job but why dont you try for ip scanner in your network which will give you the list of all available and live ip address in your network and you will come to know the actual ip address present on your network and which VLAN.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

If you're considering expanding the concept of IdAM across all aspects of your enterprise, and it sounds like that's where you're going, then I would consider integrating NAC with AD based on a LDAP field which provisions users in VLAN dynamically.  Like any other investment, this will significantly reduce the organization's overall continual maintenance obligations.  HTH!

V/R,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card