cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 500 Vlan problems

martinbryant
Level 1
Level 1

This ought to be an easy one-I've got two Catalyst 500 switches and i want to use a seperate Vlan for one port on each.  After i assign a Vlan to the ports i try to connect between the two ports with no luck.  gotta be something easy that i just am not doing right

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Franklin,

probably the two switches build dynamically a trunk link carrying all existing Vlans over the connection or something goes wrong when detecting another switch on the link.

with an IOS based switch the trick could be done by using switchport mode access on both sides.

Be aware that doing this joins two broadcast domains this is usually a fix for some integration but not a good design generally speaking.

if you want to connect the two switches over multiple vlans you should use the switch port template for the port on both sides

So you should use the switch port template (or how it is called in that GUI)

We used a few of these C500 and we found them less friendly then expected

be also aware that they don't support VTP so you need to manually create Vlans on them.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

i used the GUI about a thousand time on both sides, even tried it through network assis

tant.  I can't seem to get the STP to stay checked.

I'm starting to think that you can't creat vlans between Catalyst

500 switches, just internal

Hello Franklin,

>>

I'm starting to think that you can't creat vlans between Catalyst

500 switches, just internal

I do agree treat each of them as a VTP transparent switch: you need to create Vlans individually on each device

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card