Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP DHCP + ASA5505 = no ip

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

The title says it all.

I have an ASA5505 connected to a residential ISP provider.  I configured the WAN port as a DHCP client.  The ASA recieved no IP address from the ISP.

I then put in a netgear router as my border device and configured the WAN port as a DHCP client.  It recieved a IP address from the ISP.  Then I configured the LAN port with a DHCP server and connected the ASA WAN port directly to the netgear LAN.  The ASA recieved the IP address from the netgear router.

I would like to remove the netgear router and put the ASA as my border device, but the ISP (comcast) residential support people are pretty much useless.

NOTE:  I will double check my current ASA IOS, but i am aware of the version update for 7.2.(2).22 and how the ASA wasn't sending a client-id.  I already did that update and set the client-id for the ASA mac-address.  That didn't resolve the issue.

2 Replies 2

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

You might have to call your ISP and have them release your IP... some ISPs only alot you 1 DHCP address with a relatively annoying lease timeout. You can probably wait for it to timeout by having NOTHING attached for a while, maybe reboot your modem OR you could call the ISP OR you could put the MAC address of your Netgear onto your ASA. I did that with my FiOS Service... works fine. HTH

Well the good news is that I got it fixed.

SOLUTION:

1) need ASA IOS 7.2.(2).22 or higher

2) DO NOT USE 'Cisco-interfaxce_name-' as the client-id

3) perform the command:

Interface vlanX
        dhcp client route distance 1
        ip address  dhcp setroute
      dhcp-client client-id interface outside

with vlanX being the correct vlan for your outside interface.

I actually had to do it twice before it would work right.  My current IOS is 8.0(4)

NOTE: running the command "dhcp-client client-id interface outside" is not enough by itself

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco