cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade documentation from Cisco...6.1 based doc valid?

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are on the verge of upgrading our Test Lab CallManager from 6.1(2) to 6.1(3b).

Can anyone confirm if this is the latest 'Upgrade' doco available from Cisco?

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/6_1_1/cucos/iptpch7.html

The doc relates to v6.1, but i assume is valid for v6.1(2) etc etc ?

Also - i have the two .iso files downloaded for 6.1(3b) upgrade.  I have merged them using the COPY /B command line on my laptop, then unzipped the resulting file. This creates several folders and files, of which 'autorun' is one of the files.

I have then copied these files onto a DVD as a standard data DVD using Nero.  Is this all that is needed for a local (DVD drive) upgrade?  There is mention in some docs of needing to create an ISO image on DVD - i assume that is what i now have? If not, how do i create an ISO from the many files that result from unzipping the merged part 1+2 downloads...?

Rgds

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Generally you don't unzip the file.

Well - I do open it in winrar, as I'm too lazy to MD5 it and opening it usually tells me if I've merged it wrong.

Typically you will use a DVD writing package such as Nero or what have you to burn the file as an 'image' (not as a simple file). This would result in a DVD with the file structure from within the ISO on it.

That said - if this were a bootable image, what you have done would definitely not work. As it's not bootable, it might work, or it might fail some other check that Cisco have written in.

If you burn it using the 'burn image' method, or just serve the file up from SFTP, you should be fine... with what you have done so far, I couldn't guarantee it.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Andy,

Just to highlight one area here in addition to Aarons great tips (+5 "A")

Obtaining the Upgrade File

Before you begin the upgrade process, you must obtain the appropriate upgrade file from Cisco.com.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 5.x, the upgrade file name has the following format:

cisco-ipt-k9-patchX.X.X.X-X.tar.gz.sgn

Where X.X.X.X-X represents the release and build number.

Note Do not rename the patch file before you install it because the system will not recognize it as a valid file.

Note Do not unzip or untar the file. If you do, the system may not be able to read the upgrade files.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 6.x, the upgrade file has the extension sgn.iso.

You can access the upgrade file during the installation process from either a local disk (CD or DVD) or from a remote FTP or TFTP server.

Upgrading from Local Source

You can install software from a CD or DVD that is located in the local disc drive and then start the upgrade process.

To install or upgrade software from a CD or DVD, follow this procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 Create an upgrade disk by using the upgrade file that you downloaded from Cisco.com.

If you are using an upgrade file with the tar.gz.sgn extension, copy the upgrade file to a writeable DVD.

If you are using an upgrade file with the sgn.iso extension, you must create an ISO image on a writable DVD from the upgrade file. Just copying the .iso file to the DVD will not work.

Step 2 Insert the new DVD into the disc drive on the local server that is to be upgraded.

Step 3 Log into Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.

Step 4 Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.

Step 5 Choose DVD/CD from the Source list.

Step 6 Enter the path to the patch file on the CD or DVD in the Directory field.

If the file is in the root directory, or if you created an ISO image DVD, enter a slash (/) in the Directory field.

Step 7 To continue the upgrade process, click Next.

Step 8 Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.

Step 9 In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.

When the download completes, the next window displays a checksum value if you are using an upgrade file with the tar.gz.sg extension. No checksum is displayed if you burned an ISO image DVD.

Step 10 Verify the checksum value against the checksum for the file that you downloaded that is shown on Cisco.com.

Caution The two checksum values must match to ensure the authenticity and integrity of the upgrade file. If the checksum values do not match, download a fresh version of the file from Cisco.com and try the upgrade again.

Step 11 Click Next.

Step 12 If you want to install the upgrade and automatically reboot to the upgraded partition, choose Reboot to upgraded partition. The system restarts running the upgraded software.

Step 13 If you want to install the upgrade and then manually reboot to the upgraded partition at a later time, do the following steps:

a. Choose Do not reboot after upgrade.

b. Click Next.

The Upgrade Status window displays the Upgrade log.

c. When the installation completes, click Finish.

d. To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose Settings > Version; then, click Switch Version.

The system restarts running the upgraded software.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Generally you don't unzip the file.

Well - I do open it in winrar, as I'm too lazy to MD5 it and opening it usually tells me if I've merged it wrong.

Typically you will use a DVD writing package such as Nero or what have you to burn the file as an 'image' (not as a simple file). This would result in a DVD with the file structure from within the ISO on it.

That said - if this were a bootable image, what you have done would definitely not work. As it's not bootable, it might work, or it might fail some other check that Cisco have written in.

If you burn it using the 'burn image' method, or just serve the file up from SFTP, you should be fine... with what you have done so far, I couldn't guarantee it.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Andy,

Just to highlight one area here in addition to Aarons great tips (+5 "A")

Obtaining the Upgrade File

Before you begin the upgrade process, you must obtain the appropriate upgrade file from Cisco.com.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 5.x, the upgrade file name has the following format:

cisco-ipt-k9-patchX.X.X.X-X.tar.gz.sgn

Where X.X.X.X-X represents the release and build number.

Note Do not rename the patch file before you install it because the system will not recognize it as a valid file.

Note Do not unzip or untar the file. If you do, the system may not be able to read the upgrade files.

If you are upgrading from Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 6.x, the upgrade file has the extension sgn.iso.

You can access the upgrade file during the installation process from either a local disk (CD or DVD) or from a remote FTP or TFTP server.

Upgrading from Local Source

You can install software from a CD or DVD that is located in the local disc drive and then start the upgrade process.

To install or upgrade software from a CD or DVD, follow this procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 Create an upgrade disk by using the upgrade file that you downloaded from Cisco.com.

If you are using an upgrade file with the tar.gz.sgn extension, copy the upgrade file to a writeable DVD.

If you are using an upgrade file with the sgn.iso extension, you must create an ISO image on a writable DVD from the upgrade file. Just copying the .iso file to the DVD will not work.

Step 2 Insert the new DVD into the disc drive on the local server that is to be upgraded.

Step 3 Log into Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.

Step 4 Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade.

The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.

Step 5 Choose DVD/CD from the Source list.

Step 6 Enter the path to the patch file on the CD or DVD in the Directory field.

If the file is in the root directory, or if you created an ISO image DVD, enter a slash (/) in the Directory field.

Step 7 To continue the upgrade process, click Next.

Step 8 Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.

Step 9 In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.

When the download completes, the next window displays a checksum value if you are using an upgrade file with the tar.gz.sg extension. No checksum is displayed if you burned an ISO image DVD.

Step 10 Verify the checksum value against the checksum for the file that you downloaded that is shown on Cisco.com.

Caution The two checksum values must match to ensure the authenticity and integrity of the upgrade file. If the checksum values do not match, download a fresh version of the file from Cisco.com and try the upgrade again.

Step 11 Click Next.

Step 12 If you want to install the upgrade and automatically reboot to the upgraded partition, choose Reboot to upgraded partition. The system restarts running the upgraded software.

Step 13 If you want to install the upgrade and then manually reboot to the upgraded partition at a later time, do the following steps:

a. Choose Do not reboot after upgrade.

b. Click Next.

The Upgrade Status window displays the Upgrade log.

c. When the installation completes, click Finish.

d. To restart the system and activate the upgrade, choose Settings > Version; then, click Switch Version.

The system restarts running the upgraded software.

Cheers!

Rob

Sorry for the late reply gents, it has been a mad few weeks!

I seem to have successfully upgraded the test lab CUCM server to 6.1(3b).  I was able to use the unzipped file that is created after merging the two .iso files. I copied the content of the unzipped file directly to DVD as a 'data' disk in Nero. I didnt use the 'image' option, nor did i just copy the zip file. I simply created a 'data' DVD in nero copying all the files that result after unzipping.

The DVD seems to have worked fine in the CUCM server - the Upgrade option saw it as a file, and allowed me to select the 6.1(3b) 'Upgrade' option from the OS Admin GUI. The upgrade took about 20 mins on our test lab server, and after it finished things seemed to more-or-less work (i had to restart the Ext Mobility service and CallManager service before the phones re-registered).

Once i done the above, the phones registered again and came back with their Ext Mobility profiles and associated extensions logged in still.

I had a few 'isues' with the upgrade which i will post into a new discussion thread shortly

Thanks for the responses guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: