Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 VSS - HSRP

vijayaram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have Cisco 6500 VSS deployed in two data centers and layer-2 extended between them. For the same VLAN we use different ip address in each DC. I want to know if it possible to run HSRP between the DCs.

Current implementation:

Vlan 20

DC1 Vlan 20 SVI: 10.192.20.1

DC2 Vlan 20 SVI: 10.192.20.2

Servers in DC1 will point to 10.192.20.1 as their default-gateway and servers in DC2 will point to 10.192.20.2 as their default gateway. I wanted to know if I can make 10.192.20.3 as HSRP ip address and make all servers point to this ip address rather than physical ip address of the switches.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

We have Cisco 6500 VSS deployed in two data centers and layer-2 extended between them. For the same VLAN we use different ip address in each DC. I want to know if it possible to run HSRP between the DCs.

Current implementation:

Vlan 20

DC1 Vlan 20 SVI: 10.192.20.1

DC2 Vlan 20 SVI: 10.192.20.2

Servers in DC1 will point to 10.192.20.1 as their default-gateway and servers in DC2 will point to 10.192.20.2 as their default gateway. I wanted to know if I can make 10.192.20.3 as HSRP ip address and make all servers point to this ip address rather than physical ip address of the switches.

Thanks.

Hi,

As you said you can do this as both the DC are in L2 connectivity with vlan connectivity between the two,you can configure HSRP but what i can see is if DC1 switch is active then server from DC2 will point towards the vip of hsrp and traffic will follow from all along from DC2 to DC1.

is there any specfic requirement or acheving the same and from switches how is the outgoing connectivity.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

I would recommend you to go for MHSRP for your scenario.

Configure one HSRP IP, make DC1 as the primary and DC2 as standby.

Configure second HSRP IP, make DC2 as the primary and DC1 as standby.

In this case you can configure the servers as the present default gateway and you will not have traffic of the one DC hitting the DC for Inter-VLAN routing, but still has redundancy across DCs.

But if your requirement is to have a single default gateway to all the servers, then you can go for a traditional HSRP Config.

Cheers,

Sameer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card