5508 Not Load Balancing APs Properly

Unanswered Question
Apr 7th, 2010

I have two 5508s running 6.0.188.0 in LAG mode.  All 8 ports for both controllers are connected to a 6509E, and I believe they are also all on the same module.  I have approximately 120 APs that are all setup for the same IP addresses when it comes to Primary, Secondary and Tertiary controllers, and failover priority is set to the default 'Low'.  I am expecting that despite the fact that all APs have the same Primary IP address, that they should load balance across the two 5508s because the controllers respond with information about load when responding to Discovery Requests.  But in actuality I have one controller maxed out at 100 APs and the other with 20.  What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Scott

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dancampb Wed, 04/07/2010 - 09:42

The AP's won't load balance with the description you mentioned.  All the AP's will try to join the configured primary.  Assuming a stable network they won't try the secondary controller until the primary controller doesn't accept any more AP's.  The pri/sec/ter config is for failover, not load balancing.  To spread the AP's across the controllers you need to define which controller you want that AP to join as the primary.

Actions

This Discussion