Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy configuration from UC520 to UC540?

m.junghage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a good way to copy the whole config including voicemail, AA, MAC addresses and so on from a UC520-2BRI-8U to a UC540W? I need to switch a client's UC since they have been using a loaner from us while waiting for their ordered UC540 to arrive.

Since the backup utility only offer this functionality when backing up from/to the same kind of unit I need another approach.

All help is appreciated!

Best regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Markus,

Here is my suggestions to you which I just had to do myself to a loan system from our Cisco account manager.

Steps are as follows for CME side config:

1. On the UC-520 copy the start-up config to the flash card (Save it as a .cfg file)
  2. Copy the star-up config on the flash card to your system
  3. from your system copy the start-up file to the UC-540
  4. on the UC-540 do the following commands

ROUTER# copy flash:"File Name" startup
  5. This will copy the config from the UC-520 to the UC-540
  6. Reboot the UC-540 (DO NOT WRITE MEM BEFOER REBOOT)

NOTES:

• You may need to modify the config on your PC first, things like Voice Ports (FXO/FXS/BRI..etc..etc..) may be different on the UC540 so they need to match up on the config file before copying it over, otherwise during boot up it will disregard the code and those services/devices will not function as intended
  • You can use a program called PSPad to edit the cfg/txt file, it is free program and is brilliant to work with Cisco configs :)

Steps to follow CUE side:

1. Download the following program: http://support.3com.com/software/3cdv2r10.zip install the program and allocate folders/directories on the root of the drive, i suggest 1 folder being TFTP and another Folder being FTP
  2. Configure the client, first being the TFT to point to the TFT folder, the second being the FTP to point to the FTP folder
  3. Assign a username and password to the FTP account (Do not use the default one) I recommend using cisco for the username and cisco123 for the password, it is easy and wont be forgotten easily
  4. log into the UC-520 system via the CUE web GUI admin, then go to "Administration" >>>"Backup/Restore">>>"Configuration", apply the settings for your FTP such as the ones you put into 3cDaemon, it may take a couple of turns to get it right
  5. Go back to Backup/Restore and start the backup, this should copy it now over to your FTP directory into a folder that you designated to it

6. Once the above is completed you then need to go to the UC-540 and do the same thing as above on the UC-540
  7. Then go to Backup/Retore and do a restore

NOTE: The above worked for me copying over from a UC-520 running 8.0.1 to a UC-540 running 8.0.1, I beleive so long as both systems are running the same setup there shouldn't be too many difficulties, I havent tried copying over from a 7.X.X to a 8.X.X system yet, but again I can not see any reasons as to why there would be a problem.

I can only suggest you give it a shot, it worked for me and there are no issues noted thus far and the system has been working for over 2 months with no problems, keep in mind that you may still need to do some mods/config changes in the CUE web GUI on the UC-540, somethings may or may not get applied fully.

I hope the above works for you as it has for me, good luck with you adventure (and an adventure it will be :)).

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Not supported Markus, sorry.

Marcos

A update on this question. We're replacing a UC520-2BRI-8U with a UC520-8FXO-24U. Any luck this will be supported?

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Markus,

Here is my suggestions to you which I just had to do myself to a loan system from our Cisco account manager.

Steps are as follows for CME side config:

1. On the UC-520 copy the start-up config to the flash card (Save it as a .cfg file)
  2. Copy the star-up config on the flash card to your system
  3. from your system copy the start-up file to the UC-540
  4. on the UC-540 do the following commands

ROUTER# copy flash:"File Name" startup
  5. This will copy the config from the UC-520 to the UC-540
  6. Reboot the UC-540 (DO NOT WRITE MEM BEFOER REBOOT)

NOTES:

• You may need to modify the config on your PC first, things like Voice Ports (FXO/FXS/BRI..etc..etc..) may be different on the UC540 so they need to match up on the config file before copying it over, otherwise during boot up it will disregard the code and those services/devices will not function as intended
  • You can use a program called PSPad to edit the cfg/txt file, it is free program and is brilliant to work with Cisco configs :)

Steps to follow CUE side:

1. Download the following program: http://support.3com.com/software/3cdv2r10.zip install the program and allocate folders/directories on the root of the drive, i suggest 1 folder being TFTP and another Folder being FTP
  2. Configure the client, first being the TFT to point to the TFT folder, the second being the FTP to point to the FTP folder
  3. Assign a username and password to the FTP account (Do not use the default one) I recommend using cisco for the username and cisco123 for the password, it is easy and wont be forgotten easily
  4. log into the UC-520 system via the CUE web GUI admin, then go to "Administration" >>>"Backup/Restore">>>"Configuration", apply the settings for your FTP such as the ones you put into 3cDaemon, it may take a couple of turns to get it right
  5. Go back to Backup/Restore and start the backup, this should copy it now over to your FTP directory into a folder that you designated to it

6. Once the above is completed you then need to go to the UC-540 and do the same thing as above on the UC-540
  7. Then go to Backup/Retore and do a restore

NOTE: The above worked for me copying over from a UC-520 running 8.0.1 to a UC-540 running 8.0.1, I beleive so long as both systems are running the same setup there shouldn't be too many difficulties, I havent tried copying over from a 7.X.X to a 8.X.X system yet, but again I can not see any reasons as to why there would be a problem.

I can only suggest you give it a shot, it worked for me and there are no issues noted thus far and the system has been working for over 2 months with no problems, keep in mind that you may still need to do some mods/config changes in the CUE web GUI on the UC-540, somethings may or may not get applied fully.

I hope the above works for you as it has for me, good luck with you adventure (and an adventure it will be :)).

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks for the excellent walktrough David!

Will have a go at this when the new UC arrives, sounds promising though since the switch I'm making is exactly the scenario you are describing in your post. I'll let you now how it goes.

Once again thank you, this will save me lot's of hours.

Thanks again David!

The transition went smoothly and I managed to get everything going on the new UC520-24U-8FXO (I ditched the 540). The only issue was that the FXS ports assigned to users needed to change MAC addresses to the new ports. This saved me a lot of hours

This should really be a built-in feature!

Hi There,

I am soooooooo Glad this went well for you, in the end was the walk through useful to you?

Just need to verify if I put the thoughts in my mind to print correctly as sometimes what's in my head never always get written properly

Anyway I am glad you succeeded and just as happy that you went the UC520 Path, I am still concerned with going down the 540/560 path due to the support arrangement, if they change it where it can get escalated to TAC then that would be a good thing.

Cheers,

David.

The walkthrough was very helpful. Honestly I'd never notice the backup function in the CUE web gui before .

And to relate to the UC540/UC560 support dilemma, we had sold two UC540 systems before we got the info that they wouldn't be supported by TAC or won't support CLI configurations. We're seriously considering stocking up on UC520 to avoid having to deal with the smb support.

Hi There,

We're seriously considering stocking up on UC520 to avoid having to deal with the smb support.

Don't panic yourself over this, I do not believe they will be pushing the UC520's EoL or even EoS anytime soon, if they do they will only be shooting themselves in the foot, and not to mention they will be isolating themselves from all the SMB VAR's out there, if the 520 goes there will be many companies that will move over to competing products, not something I am sure they want to happen.

As Dave Harper could bare testimony to, I am a strong advocate of Cisco moving to a GUI based configuration tool, but for some reason I am not satisfied with the direction CCA is going, just today I gave up on it again after 4 times over 6.5 hours I tried to use the telephony wizard to configure our lab system with UC520 8.0.2 SW pack, nothing I did would stick, gave up and reverted back to CLI and use txt editors, had the system done in an hour and 20 minutes.

My personal opinion on the matter, which by now everyone knows cause I just wont shut up about it, is a hosted configuration (CCC was a dream but still had some minor limitations) or "On The Box GUI" such as the basic one that is on there now, however far more advanced, I am kind of still beside myself why this was not a serious consideration, if it was then it would have been good to get feedback from the community, the potential it has beats the pants of any windows based applications IMHO.

Here is my problem with CCA and why this might hurt the 540/560 branches:

• It runs on Windows, now this is not to bash windows but hey I know as well as the next person windows if full of too many variables
  • It uses Java and flash, great programs/programming code, but CCA can hit 500MB plus in memory when you monitor the resources it uses, this is huge still too big even even for today's systems, this type of resources induces errors, I don't care what system you run it is bound to bring problems on
  • It does not seem to work around the windows firewall all to well, to get it to work on freshly build XP laptop today i still had to shut down the windows firewall to at least upgrade the system to 8.0.2 from 8.0.1
  • Still has issues working around dual nics (Wireless inclusive), this becomes an inconvenience and has kind of forced me into a position of having to allocate a CCA only machine... That is frustrating.
  • Has not and Will not work over a Cisco created VPN tunnel, every time I have used it in that environment it breaks things or bombs out, the unreliable nature of CCA over a VPN network far exceeds any benefits, which brings you to a sub point, how is SBCS support supposed to work on a system if you do not have CCA access to it and only SSH/Telnet? I don't think this move was well thought out (Sorry Cisco team), it can not be expected of a engineer to be onsite at a clients premises all the time, the whole concept of Cisco is to be able to do things remotely or has that been forgotten?.
  • Leaves far too much excess code on the system, and I am so anti bloatware and am now becoming very much anti bloatcode
  • It changes your config on you without permission (Yes I will continue to argue this point, it still does it all the time), this to me is a massive NO-NO don't modify the config in the background without permission, why would you anyway??

As you can tell I have had a frustrating day, I hate it when I go into battle and lose, and I lost big time against CCA today it defeated me and beat me to a pulp, hell it is almost sending me to the bottle (OK not quite so dramatic), for me at this stage it is still a counter productive suite not a productive suite as it should be.

Time to go watch some Chuck and chill out me thinks

Cheers,

David.

Hi,

In response to:

"And to relate to the UC540/UC560 support dilemma, we had sold two UC540 systems before we got the info that they wouldn't be supported by TAC or won't support CLI configurations. We're seriously considering stocking up on UC520 to avoid having to deal with the smb support."

I want to say that the UC540 and UC560 are Small Business Support Center supported and while we support CCA as the primary method to configure, we do provide support for OOB CLI.    Our primary objective is to support our Partners using the GUI so the costs of configuration are lower for them and easier to maintain with lesser skilled staff. We continue on this mission and consistent feedback we receive from Partner Owners is this is the correct path.  If you feel we need a migration tool added so backups and restores work across models, as you seem to be doing, is required, we can add it to the list to be considered, and it will be prioritized according to demand.  No problem.   We watch these threads for feedback, and if that is what you want, please provide me some feedback as to how you would like to see it work and how often you would use this as oppsied to the normal backup and restore we have already.

We do have some issues with CCA and when we learn of them, we fix them.   2.2.4 for example fixed several issues in TSW with dialplan recognition and localization and FXS port configuration, which caused some bad behavior in CCA.  When there is a feature we cant do in CCA (we will always lag behind the full feature capability of CME as it is released and then inherited in UC500) like extension mobility (which is old) we prioritize adding it (Ext Mob is next CCA release).

But that brings us to Feature Reference Guide, a document we provide to show Partners everything you can configure with CCA.  I hope you know about tyhis doc and where to find it?    We also have the OOB CLI Guide for help with understanding how to make CLI you enter outside of CLI acceptable by CCA (by avoiding reserved values and parameters).  Its in the same place as the above doc.  Let me know if you need a link?

There is no doubt, that advanced skill on an ISR or UC520 is still an avenue for deployment, if that skill level exists and in that case, as you mentioned, the TAC will support you without CCA (all CLI).  And that is a different model.  So its a decision Partners have to make as to what model makes the best business sense and returns the higher margin.

I think you also may have come to realize that pricing on UC540/UC560 as well as cost of the support contract is much less on the newer models, so another business decision to be made there.

I hope my reply doesnt come off as arrogant or ignorant to your needs.   We have a large Partner base and we learn every day.  I am only stating what we are thinking we are doing to help you.

Steve DiStefano

Yes please provide the links to CURRENT documents. Will this link stay the same as the document gets updated?

I can concur and validate the same issues that David has posted.

Yes, and SMB support is NOT the right options Cisco for the UC platform. Save SMB Support for the LinksysCRAP and SMB switch line, but move the UC (any UC platform) back to TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: