Views
Helpful
Replies

How to: Upgrade the bootstrap software.

Lee Shouse
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks in advance,

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade the actual bootstrap software. All I've been able to find is IOS upgrades.

Thanks,

Lee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The command is "upgrade file rom tftp:///".  The router will ask you a rhetorical question and if you answer "y" the router will reboot, upgrade the bootstrap and reboot again.

When you are dealing with switches IOS, starting from 12.2(50), will automatically upgrade the bootstrap.  Like the router, once the switch detects a new bootstrap after a reload, the switch will upgrade the bootstrap and reload again.

Hope this answers your question.  Please don't forget to rate our post(s).  Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The command is "upgrade file rom tftp:///".  The router will ask you a rhetorical question and if you answer "y" the router will reboot, upgrade the bootstrap and reboot again.

When you are dealing with switches IOS, starting from 12.2(50), will automatically upgrade the bootstrap.  Like the router, once the switch detects a new bootstrap after a reload, the switch will upgrade the bootstrap and reload again.

Hope this answers your question.  Please don't forget to rate our post(s).  Thanks.

Thank you very much, but the syntax was backward with file and rom, but obviously no big deal. It was the upgrade command I needed and I thank you very much. 5 stars, but I did it too.

Whoopsie!  Sorry about that.  I don't have a router at home so I was just singing out the command by memory.    Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: