Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping an ip address from a different subnet

Eggzter100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having a problem accessing one particular ip address from different subnets over  VPNs. Everything on the network is viewable except this one machine (which runs linux). I can ping it from the local subnet and it replies without exception. I can ping everything else on the network from two different subnets through two different routers and firewalls but I still can't access this one machine. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Regards

Egg

5 Replies 5

droeun141
Level 1
Level 1

Wrong mask or gateway configured on host

Damn,

I checked it once, while the engineer was there working on it and I didn't see anything out of place. The ip address and mask were definately correct but you've got me wondering about the gateway now, but I'm pretty sure it was ok. Problem is, it's a massive great steel plasma cutting machine for making bridges that you've got to shut down and restart to get to the config, and I dunno if I can remember how to do it. But I'll have a go. Any other ideas?

Not off the top of my head, but similar cases I've seen have always been invalid gateways.  Let me know how it works out for you.

do a self ping and see any odd route table by using the command route print / print route

Sounds like a pretty important machine.  Maybe there's an acl  that's blocking icmp traffic to the machine?  Try debugging icmp traffic to that machine - if you have access to the machine's first hop router you can run the debugs there and then send traffic. Normally when I try to single out a problemw w/ one device I'll run 'debu ip packet detail "acl" ' to keep from killing my router:

access-list 185 permit tcp host A host B

access-list 185 permit tcp host B host A

debug ip packet detail 185

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card