Recommendations for placing Lightweight-AP:s in separate vlans?

Unanswered Question
Apr 8th, 2010

Is there any recommendations of best practices that states that LWAPP/CAPWAP access-points should be placed in dedicated vlans rather than together with other equipment?

Br Jimmy

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jilahbg Tue, 04/13/2010 - 05:32

Thanks for your link. I have read the article before but I can´t see that there is any recommendations on whether the LWAPP-traffic should be transfered in separate broadcast-domains (which I have been told) or if it is an ok solution to put the leightweight AP:s in the same Vlan as wired/wireless clients, printers and so on...

If there is no written best practice from Cisco, I would very much appretiate input on this matter from you guys.

The reason for this is that I have a customer who experience high latencies when many clients on the same AP tries to login to the built-in (5508) GuestLobby. And their AP:s are not in dedicated vlans.

Br Jimmy

gabrielsagredo Tue, 04/13/2010 - 11:19

I've experienced issues when APs are in a VLAN w/ other switches and routers however, its only happened to me once out of hundres of WLC installs i've done. I've been told to keep the APs in a seperate VLAN and generally I do all installs this way and haven't had issues. I've also done many where the APs are w/ other devices and haven't had any issues.

Whats "many clients" - 10,20? 40?50?

This Discussion