cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing on a 2620 Router

greggsmithjr
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2620 router (see details below) and a 2912 switch.

I currently use a T1 for my backbone. The T1 is connected to a WIC T1 DSU/CSU WAN card in the router. I would like to add more bandwidth to the router by adding a ADSL link. The router has 2 WAN slots (only the T1 slot is currently used). Can I add a WIC ADSL Card (with the T1 card installed)? If so, how do I manage / load balance bandwidth --- with the T1 and ADSL circuits together? How would I manage IPs? I currently have Class C block of IP addresses w/ the T1.

I do not want to use the DSL link as a mere fail-over link (only used unless if T1 goes down) -- I want to use in parallel. Is there a way to do automatic load balancing --- I hate to have to setup policy based routing -- automatic would be much preferred over hard-coded policies.

Please advise.

-Gregg

Below are the specs:

Cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x00) with 61440K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD06190ET6 (942078993)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Serial network interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are welcome, please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally, load balancing across different speeds circuits is a not a good idea, however, that is how is done:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080950834.shtml

Why is load balancing on the router not recommended?  I will take a look at the article you forwarded.

Another option is to purchase a separate device that will do the load balancing first, the connect this to the Cisco 2620 router.  I've been looking at Mushroom Networks (Truffle and VLL products) and EdiMax BR-624 products.  Thoughts on using these?  I do not want to pay a monthly fee for a bonding or load balancing service ... I'm looking for a hardware solution.

Thanks,

Gregg

It is not recommended because it does not work accordingly to users expectations (that are also very varied)..

At present time, router based NAT load balancing is not smart like as external load balancers, but is OK for basic use.

And in your case, you may want to upgrade the obsolete 2620 anyway before looking at additional gear.

You recommend replacing the obsolete 2620 ... what benefits would I get by doing so?

Another option is to purchase a separate device that will do the load balancing ... I've been looking at Mushroom Networks (Truffle and VLL products) and EdiMax BR-624 products.  Thoughts on using these?  I do not want to pay a monthly fee for a bonding or load balancing service ... I'm looking for a hardware solution.  Please let me know if these work and your thoughts on these.

You would get the major benefits of faster hardware, feature-richer software, and a TAC-supported device.

I would recommend you try first what the router can do by itself before looking at a external devices.

Thanks for the info ... I will check it out.

You are welcome, please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card