cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

input errors on my wan facing interface

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

I'm getting drops on my gig0/0 interface and when I do a sh int it shows the following. Normally I would think this is a buffer memory issue but if that is the case should the "ignored" section have a count?

Any way, any ideas would be great.

Received 4514610 broadcasts, 5237 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     27711 input errors, 0 CRC, 22474 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
     0 input packets with dribble condition detected
     5857790 packets output, 771276828 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
     0 unknown protocol drops
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output
     0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please send the complete "show interface" and "show controllers gig0/0/0"-

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

It is not uncommon to have input errors and no ignores.  Below is a link and the description of those 2 fields.

Diagnostically the 1st question is to find out what the change rate is for input errors, and I would check the logs to see what errors are occuring.  Or turn on debugging to create logs with errors.  Once you have the errors log you should be able to see which type of input errors are being generated.

Since you have a frame count I suspect that your issue is probabally related to that.

HERE IS THE INPUT ERROR/IGNORED DESCRIPTION LINK:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/interface/command/reference/irfshoin.html

INPUT ERROR:

Includes runts, giants, no buffer, CRC, frame, overrun, and ignored counts. Other input-related errors can also cause the input errors count to be increased, and some datagrams may have more than one error; therefore, this sum may not balance with the sum of enumerated input error counts.

IGNORED:

Number of received packets ignored by the interface because the interface hardware ran low on internal buffers. These buffers are different than the system buffers mentioned previously in the buffer description. Broadcast storms and bursts of noise can cause the ignored count to be increased.

FRAME:

Number of packets received incorrectly having a CRC error and a noninteger number of octets. On a LAN, this is usually the result of collisions or a malfunctioning Ethernet device.

as already mentioned the "show controllers" will show CRC information. If this is because of collisions then this should help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_tech_note09186a008009446d.shtml

Message was edited by: Ryan Wagner

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: