cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Command Changes on 6500 IOS - HELP

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

I had done research and came up with a qos configuration for my customer based on what they had, their needs than and now and long story short on the new sup32's we are installing with 12.2(33)SXH6 the commands have changed.  Can someone advise what I need to change it to to match this and briefly explain please ?? my qos command ref only shows the commands matching 2 values (what I have here) not the new with 3 values..

wrr-queue queue-limit 40 30

wrr-queue bandwidth 30 70

6513-SUP32(config-if)#wrr-queue bandwidth percent 30 70
% Incomplete command.

6513-SUP32(config-if)#wrr-queue bandwidth percent 30 70 ?
  <0-100>  enter bandwidth percent

6513-SUP32(config-if)#wrr-queue bandwidth ?
  <0-255>  enter bandwidth weight
  percent  Configure WRR minimum bandwidth with percentages

6513-SUP32(config-if)#wrr-queue bandwidth

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Normally QoS is configured now through the MQC framework. These are examples of old CLI commands to accomplish QoS.

Here is the explanation for both commands:

wrr-queue bandwidth

To allocate the bandwidth between the standard transmit queues, use the wrr-queue bandwidth command in interface configuration mode. To return to the default settings, use the no form of this command.

You can configure up to seven queue weights on Cisco 7600 series routers that are configured with a Supervisor Engine 720.

You can configure up to three queue weights on Cisco 7600 series routers that are configured with a Supervisor Engine 2.

WRR allows bandwidth sharing at the egress port. This command defines the bandwidths for egress WRR through scheduling weights. Four queues participate in the WRR unless you enable the egress-expedite queue. The expedite queue is a strict-priority queue that is used until it is empty before using one of the WRR queues.

There is no order of dependencies for the wrr-queue bandwidth command. If you enable the egress priority, the weight ratio is calculated with the first two and the last parameters; otherwise, all four parameters are used.

The WRR weights are used to partition the bandwidth between the queues if all queues are nonempty. For example, entering weights of 1:3 means that one queue gets 25 percent of the bandwidth and the other queue gets 75 percent as long as both queues have data.

wrr-queue queue-limit

To set the transmit-queue size ratio on an interface, use the wrr-queue queue-limit command in interface configuration mode. To return to the default settings, use the no form of this command.

wrr-queue queue-limit queue1-weight [queue2-weight] queue3-weight

no wrr-queue queue-limit

Valid high-priority weight values are from 1 to 100 percent, except on 1p2q1t egress LAN ports, where valid values for the high-priority queue are from 5 to 100 percent.

On 1p2q2t interfaces, QoS sets the strict-priority queue size equal to the high-priority queue size.

Estimate the mix of low priority-to-high priority traffic on your network (for example, 80 percent low-priority traffic and 20 percent high-priority traffic). Use the estimated percentages as queue weights.

Due to the granularity of programming the hardware, the values that are set in the hardware are close approximations of the provided values. For example, if you specify 0 percent, the actual value that is programmed is not necessarily 0.

Federico.

I have those, had them when I created this config, and have them today, what I dont have is the NEW explanation. Why are the old commands rejected, and what is the difference with the new one, all else being equal ?? I am looking for what command TODAY equals the commands I have listed here, I am not finding documentation to why it changed, or what the difference is, everything still references only the 2 value command.  Once again still using same hardware as before but command ref and design guide doesnt yet talk about our SRND best practice commands changing.....I am seeing alot of this in the MQC with new sub-menu's etc.....Do you know what commands I need to enter in the new code to equal / replace the 2 commands I posted ??

thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: