cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip routing

luis.sato
Level 1
Level 1

I'm fairly new to the Cisco community, so please excuse the simplicity of this question.

I've pored over all the documentation and can't seem to find the answer. Is it possible to route between two specific IP addresses that reside on separate subnets on a Catalyst 3750? I have the following scenario, a select group of users on subnet 172.31.20.x need to be able to manage printers residing on 172.31.30.x. How can I make this happen without allowing the entire 20.x subnet access to the 30.x subnet?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Both subnets are directly connected to the 3750?

Then, both should be in different VLANs or in different L3 interfaces.

Enable routing with the ''ip routing'' command.

Configure InterVLAN routing if using VLAN interfaces.

In this way both networks will see each other.

To restrict access, can create ACLs to permit just the desired traffic between both subnets.

Federico.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Both subnets are directly connected to the 3750?

Then, both should be in different VLANs or in different L3 interfaces.

Enable routing with the ''ip routing'' command.

Configure InterVLAN routing if using VLAN interfaces.

In this way both networks will see each other.

To restrict access, can create ACLs to permit just the desired traffic between both subnets.

Federico.

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Luis, the Cisco 3750 is both a L2 and a L3 switch. Its functionality depends on the IOS version and feature set that it is using.

What you are referring to is L3 switching (ie routing) between different subnets. This is a very basic requirement that the 3750 can easily fulfill with the correct IOS and configuration.

Review this link for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008015f17a.shtml

Victor

luis.sato
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you gentlemen. I was able to put the correct ACLs in place to allow traffic flow as needed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card