Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client for Android

stefan.morlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We have got a couple of mobile phones with Android OS to our company.

We need a proper IPSEC VPN client to these Android phones, but cannot find any.

There are some IPSEC VPN clients on the market, but to use these you have to root the phone.

We have a ASA 5520 that works great with the Cisco AnyConnect client on Windows PC:s.

Will Cisco release a VPN client, like AnyConnect, that is compatible with Android?

Best Regards

Stefan

71 Replies 71

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not anytime soon. You might want to contact your cisco account rep. for the feature request.

Now that Cisco has an Andriod based tablet will they update the VPN client code?  The Iphone intergrated client works fine with ASA but not the one provided with Android phones.  We have a number of Android phones and are looing at Android tablets, without a VPN client they are not practical for most corps.

jhubel
Level 1
Level 1

Stefan -

According to this TechWorld news article, AnyConnect support for Android will be coming by the end of 2010.  I think there are plenty of people waiting for it, myself included.  Cisco must have it almost ready because they've marketed their Android-wielding Cius tablet as having AnyConnect on it and the unit is supposed to begin shipping soon.

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/338085/cebit_cisco_develops_vpn_client_pcs_smartphones

Jeff

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

its been a few months, but wanted to share that the Cisco Collaboration User group is showing a beta is available.

Hi Don,

Do you mind put the link to download the beta client?

Thanks a million.

Its not quite out yet.

Here is a link to thier community central site:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/technology/collaboration/usergroups

What's the exact link to the beta discussion? I'm not finding it in search.

ice_nicolas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys...any news on the new vpn client for android? I'm so wainting for this app to be released...and has anyone managed to try the beta?

Any chance on trying out the beta????

There will be a closed beta program that should launch in mid december...to register to the program you must register at Cisco Community Central and join the

Cisco Collaboration User Group.

Although it is said that membership is free, you actually have to be an employee or work for a company that is already a cisco customer or partener, and you must subscribe with the company's email and not your personal one. In my opinion this isn't much of a deal since it would be more efficient releasing closed betas to freelance betatesters as well, in order to increase overall feedback.

Michael Marzol
Level 1
Level 1

We're all talking about two very different applications. There is currently no

beta for any kind of Cisco VPN client for Android. The beta availabile in the Collaboration Group is for Cisco Mobile 8.5 for Android which is nothing more than a telephony application which requires coeporate Wi-Fi access to function.

Sorry. I'm salivating for a VPN client as well.

-Mike

Hello Mike, sorry to bother you (or everyone else on this thread) insisting on this matter further, but I just don't understand quite yet where Cisco is heading.

What do I mean?

Well...there's this Cisco Cius device (tablet) that keeps me wondering why isn't Cisco going for android support on vpnclient software...

The Cius should be released sometime this spring. Here are the specs of the device:

Applications Capabilities:

• 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, 3G/4G data and Bluetooth 3.0 help     employees stay connected on and off-campus.
  • HD video (720p) with Cisco         TelePresence solution interoperability for     lifelike video communication with the simplicity of a phone call
  • Virtual desktop client enables  highly secure access     to cloud-based business applications
  • Android operating system, with access Android marketplace     applications
  • Collaboration applications including Cisco       Quad, Presence, IM and integrated, one-click access to WebEx Meeting Center

Tablet Highlights:

• 7” diagonal, high-resolution color screen with contact-based touch     targets delivers an elegant, intuitive experience
  • HD media station supports Bluetooth and USB peripherals, 10/100/1000 wired     connectivity and a handset option
  • Detachable and serviceable 8-hour battery for a full day of work
  • Highly secure remote connections with Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
  • HD audio with wideband support (tablet, HD media station)

Now the main two specs that interest me are (obviously):

- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, 3G/4G data and Bluetooth 3.0 help     employees stay connected on and off-campus.

- Android operating system, with access Android marketplace     applications

And my final question/s:

Will I be able to access Internet through a wifi spot based on Cisco Systems servers, using a Cisco Cius? (seems a stupid question, I know) ...And if so, hence the fact that the two specs I last mentioned are available on the 99.9% of the smartphones that run on Android OS, why couldn't these Android devices do the same just as well?

Thank you for your patience,

Nicholas.

Word is, an AnyConnect client is supposed to be available this month for the Android platform.  I'm anxiously awaiting it as well, since I dumped WinMo months ago for a Droid X.  Once I can get the VPN client and a stable, usable RDP and VNC app, I'll be able to be on-call during weekends w/o having to cart my laptop everywhere.  Oh the possibilities!

CiscoMotive
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe you knew that already, but it is possible to make the remote access VPN between an Android device and a Cisco ASA using L2TP/IPSec. Auhtentication needs to be certificate based though, no PSKs here. I just finished my configuration today, I have a Samsung Galaxy S and ASA 5510. After couple of weeks of trial and error, it seems to work flawlessly now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: