how can I copy snippets of running config to tftp server

jschweng
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to copy snippets of a running config to a tftp server

?

I'm trying this but no joy

#Show run interface vlan 11 | redirect tftp:192.169.1.1\test.txt
%Error opening tftp:///192.12.102.31\test.txt (Invalid IP address or hostname)
% Incomplete command before pipe.

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This syntax is wrong.  Try:

show run int vlan11 | redirect tftp://192.168.1.1/test.txt

Note: Most TFTP implementations will require the test.txt file to exist first on the TFTP server (i.e. a zero-byte file).

thank you- i think that is the only way I didn't try it

>> Note: Most TFTP implementations will require the test.txt file to exist first on the TFTP server (i.e. a zero-byte file).

Joe,

Going off that tangent, I was scratching my head over the practicality of "path tftp://10.10.10.10/cisco/$h-$t" seen at

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5759
"archive
   path tftp://10.10.10.10/cisco/$h-$t
   write memory"

Does that assume the use of a TFTP server that doesn't require existing files, or does "archive" perform some background magic on the tftp server first?

Are there TFTP servers that actually meet that requirement? (I see tftpd-hpa doesn't require world-writable files, but I haven't tried it without a pre-exiting file at all.)

Yes, that document assumes one could create any file on a TFTP server without the file having to exist first.  I believe there are some Windows TFTP servers do allow one to turn off this security facility.  However, I would probably use SCP or FTP for config archive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco