Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

two vlan in a switch not communicating

hi frnds

i took a switch erased the old configurations and configured two different vlan 100, 101, i named the vlans but if i give no shutdown to the interface the vlan are still in shutdown mode..i dont know whats missing can anybody help

karthik

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL, 2940/2950 switches will allow only ONE active VLANs at any one time.  Understand that IP address on the VLANs are purely for management purposes.

What are you trying to achieve?

create two vlan in the switch ...connect two servers with ip

address of the vlan network for example

if vlan 100 is 172.25.0.1  one of the server will have the gateway with this address..same for the second vlan ..

like vlan 200 172.26.0.1 and second server will have the gateway withi this address..both the server will connect to this switch and they can communicate with each other..literraly we want two server two communicate with each other with this switch...

Ok, So you want to both VLANs to communicate with each other.  What is the model of your switch.  In order to configure inter-VLAN routing you need a layer3 appliance like a Layer 3 switch or a router.

I am using a 2900 series switch 2924c-xl

i have a cisco 2600 router with one ethernet interface can we achieve the same thing with that

The 2900 series switches are Layer 2 switches which cannot perform inter-VLAN routing.

The 2600 are routers. This devices routes traffic from one interface to another.

As mentioned above, you need either a router or a Layer 3 switch to route between VLANs.

Federico.

I doubt.  Inter-VLAN routing requires FastEthernet connection.  Plain 2600 router only have Ethernet connection.  (2600XM have FastEthernet.)

However, there were some mention that the later IOS for the 2600 with Ethernet now support inter-VLAN routing but I'm unable to determine the veracity.

Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL/802.1Q Trunking on a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2950 Switch Using an External Router
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

How To Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008019e74e.shtml

Kindly don't forget to rate our post(s). Thank you very much.

CSCO11584685
Level 1
Level 1

here is a solution.

why not use router on a stick. connect ur ethernet cable from switch to router.

configure the switch port to use trunk.

configure the router port to use multiple sub-interfaces. and create two sub-interfaces each belonging to different subnet (vlan 100, and 101).

this should work by theory. im not sure bout hardware limitation or ios limitation issues. but the concept works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: