Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA interface name corrupted

I performed a maintenance on an ASA last night (simple ACL, static NAT updates) and this morning was suprised to find that the name of my outside interface changed from outside to outside%"#. Every line that referenced outside was updated and from what I can tell, everything is functioning as normal. Anyone have any ideas how this happened? Hardware is a 5550 4GB RAM running 8.2.2. On a similar note, is there any way to change an interface name without blowing away all the config that references it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Never heard of this. Do you have syslogs from the time of the problem when you made all the acl, nat changes?

You would have seen this message.

Apr 11 2010 01:15:10 ASA : %ASA-5-111008: User 'enable_15' executed the 'nameif changed_name' command.

You can change the interface name. The telnet, ssh, http and access-g lines will automatically be changed to the new name.

-KS

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Never heard of this. Do you have syslogs from the time of the problem when you made all the acl, nat changes?

You would have seen this message.

Apr 11 2010 01:15:10 ASA : %ASA-5-111008: User 'enable_15' executed the 'nameif changed_name' command.

You can change the interface name. The telnet, ssh, http and access-g lines will automatically be changed to the new name.

-KS

Thanks for that. I didn't know it would update everything. Now if there was just a way to migrate an interface (i.e. G0/0 -> R1). Unfortunately I don't have any logs, the ASA was set at the default 4k buffer and there is no syslog server. I'll just change it back and monitor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card