Views
Helpful
Replies

How to calculate switch throughput/ capacity in handling data

cssam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I have problem in understanding Switch 2960 data throughput/capacity. How do we calculate in Mpps in show interface command.

I read the switch performance sheet. It has mentioned in PPS unlike in router is Mbps. How to calculate PPS in show interface or any commands.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Friends,

I have problem in understanding Switch 2960 data throughput/capacity. How do we calculate in Mpps in show interface command.

I read the switch performance sheet. It has mentioned in PPS unlike in router is Mbps. How to calculate PPS in show interface or any commands.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Size of the packets can be from 32 bytes to 1500 bytes depending on the data payload int the packet, so packets per second is not a good way to measure bandwidth.

You can use the 'show interface' command and you will see a txload/rxload, for example 100/255, that means the pipe is about 40% utilized.  It really depends on the router/switch.

and Another way is if we say 2Mbps link it means both in and out has 2Mbps capacity.if you put it on simple term its as same as Fullduplex fastethernet where you got the advantage of having 100 up and 100 down in a 100Meg fullduplex interface.The 5 min in/out rate displayed by the show interface stats are approximate values for the admin to understand the traffic flow through that particular interface at a given point of time.To be more specific we can of course change the limit  the time to 30 seconds.the same can be done using load-interval comand under those particular interface which can be of more accurate than the 5 min values.

More about the in/out traffic rate do find the statement below.

Average number of bits and packets transmitted per second in the last 5 minutes.

The 5-minute input and output rates should be used only as an approximation of traffic per second during a given 5-minute period. These rates are exponentially weighted averages with a time constant of 5 minutes. A period of four time constants must pass before the average will be within two percent of the instantaneous rate of a uniform stream of traffic over that period.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card