Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7942G does not start after factory reset

alanoarraes
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All:

I am new with this equipments and I do not have idea how to start to solve this problem.

My Cisco IP Phone 7942 does not start after factory reset.

It stopped in a Cisco splash screen with a circle with a dot inside.

Please, I would be grateful for your help.

Regards,

Alano

18 Replies 18

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you the system administrator ?

Hi p.bevilacqua,

yes, I am the system administrator.

Thks,

Alano

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Generally this means that your one of either your DHCP/TFTP/files on TFTP has a problem.

Phones will often run whatever firmware they have if there is a problem with your TFTP setup, but when you fact reset them everything must be working.

What call processing system are you running?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron:

I perfomed the following steps:

1) unplug the cable(poe) and turn off the equipment;

2) plug the cable in the POE Switch and press "#" and release;

3) while the line lights blinking I entry with the sequence "123456789*0#"

After the steps above the equipment start an upgrading, retrieve an IP and stop in the Splash Screen with a circle with a dot inside.

I repeat this process many times without sucess.

Thks,

Alano

Yeah, I know what you've done

What I don't know is what call processing system you are using. What you need to do to fix it will vary.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

I apologize because I did not understand very well your last question

The call processing system that I would like to use is Elastix(Asterisk).

Thks,

Alano

Hi

No problem...

Basically what's going to happen is that the phone is going to boot and download a file named term41.default.loads

You will need to ensure that you are serving up DHCP with option 150 set to a TFTP server, and that your TFTP server has the term41.default.loads file. This file contains pointers to a bunch of other files. Open the file in a text editor, and verify that you have each of the files listed in it available on your TFTP server.

You should be able to see from the TFTP server logs what files are requested, and where it stops.

Aaron

Hi Aaron:

this equipment is conect to a Switch POE and the Switch to the internet through a router.

The router is the DHCP and it give an ip to the IP Phone.

I did not setup a DHCP server or TFTP server.

Could you explain how can I do it?

I apologize for this basic questions.

Thks,

Alano

Hi

Well - you need to obtain some firmware for the phone firstly. You can download from Cisco if you have access rights; or find it somewhere else.

When you have it, unzip it onto the root of a tftp server like tftpd32 (google it).

You will need to set up a DHCP server that can supply option 150 to the phone, which tells the phone where the TFTP server is. You may be able to get your router or switch to do it - are either of those Cisco kit?

Aaron

Hi Aaron:

I setup the TFTP server in the server of Elastix and dowload a SIP Image in the root.

One question: my phone is connect to a router (Cisco RV042) that is serving DHCP? Is it possible tell in the router that my TFTP Server is on my Elastix Server by port redirecting?

Please, could you give an idea about that?

Thks,

Alano

Hi

I've no idea about what an RV042 can do... basically you need to add a custom option, id 150, type IP, and the IP should be your TFTP server.

If you can't get the router to do it, use another DHCP server and disable the one on the router temporarily.

Regards

Aaron

Hi Aaron:

I setup my router to foward the port 69 to my tftp server but it is not working yet.

The scheme that I am using is :

Modem ADSL ---> Router RV042 ---> Switch POE ---> Cisco IP Phone 7942.

Do you have some sugestion?

Thks, Alano

Hi

As I said in the earlier post, you need to make the files available on a TFTP server.

You also need to tell the phone where the TFTP server is, and to do this you need to configure the custom option I mentioned on your DHCP server.

Alternatives to this are listed at this URL; be aware that as you have done a factory reset you can't access the menus, so can't set a locally configured TFTP server on the phone. You need to use one of the other methods, and I would strongly recommend the Option 150.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmsys/a02dhcp.html#wp1101454

As I said earlier, if your router isn't advanced enough to allow configuration of custom DHCP options, you will need to set up another DHCP server that does.

Regards

Aaron

try to "debug tftp events"

then "ter mon"

Step 1:

perfomed the following steps that you mentioned before:

1) unplug the cable(poe) and turn off the equipment;

2) plug the cable in the POE Switch and press "#" and release;

3) while the line lights blinking I entry with the sequence "123456789*0#"

please post debug result.

For example :

Apr 12 09:02:48.282: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by gmr on vty0 (172.21.84.142)

Apr 12 09:03:25.410: TFTP: Looking for term11.default.loads

Apr 12 09:03:25.410: TFTP: Opened flash:term11.default.loads, fd 7, size 662 for process 196

Apr 12 09:03:25.414: TFTP: Finished flash:term11.default.loads, time 00:00:00 for process 196

Apr 12 09:03:26.510: TFTP: Looking for jar11sccp.8-4-1-23.sbn

it said that TFTP is looking for file jar11sccp.8-4-1-23.sbn.

do "sh flash command". Make sure file jar11sccp.8-4-1-23.sbn, is in flash directory.

add this command "tftp-server flash:jar11sccp.8-4-1-23.sbn".

do step 1 again, and see from debug result, what file is TFTP looking for.

Repeat for step 1 until you see

"Apr 12 09:08:07.502: %IPPHONE-6-UNREGISTER_ABNORMAL: ephone-9:SEP0026CB3D9 IP:x.x.x.x. Socket:5 DeviceType:Phone has unregistered abnormally."

then it will restart again. When restart finish, you will see

"Apr 12 09:11:02.010: %IPPHONE-6-REGISTER: ephone-9:SEP0026CB3D9 IP:x.x.x.x Socket:5 DeviceType:Phone has registered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: