cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP7911 In "Upgrading" Mode - can it be cancelled ?

stevendt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was trying to upgrade the firmware on a CP7911G and have got it into the "Upgrading" mode.

However, the phone can't see the TFTP server - I think that the network settings on the phone for IP address, gateway, TFTP server atc may be wrong. Is it possible to Factory Reset the phone from the current mode, or have I goosed it !

The phone has not gotten a currupt image, it just hasn't got anything back from the network, so it's stuck in the Upgrading mode - can anyone help please ?

regards

Dave

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No. Just set a proper dhcp/tftp and it will reload without any problem.

View solution in original post

Hi

Well - regardless of whether you programmed settings on it, doing the factory reset process (which is what you have done) would wipe all that.

Once you've done that, you must set up DHCP with the proper option (150, ip, set to the tftp server) in order to recover it.

If you've got it in an odd state you may be able to repeat the factory reset process, but either way you need that DHCP/TFTP setup to be correct.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can do a factory reset, but be aware that when you do you will need to have DHCP set up, with Option 150 specified to tell the phone where the TFTP server is, and a working TFTP server with a good full set of firmware... when you factory reset, you won't have access to the configuration menus so it needs to be automatic.

Do you have all that set up?

What did you try to do to get into this mode? Did the phone download anything from your TFTP server? Does it try to download anything when it boots now?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I have a TFTP server with the necessary firmware (I think !). Unfortunately, the DHCP server (router) does not support DHCP options, so I'm going to have to set up another DHCP/TFTP servers on a separate network with option 150 configured to try to recover (it may be too late now though - see below).

I was a self inflicted wound that got me here. I deliberately did a 123456789*0# on start-up to force a firmware upgrade, however, what I should have done first was to enter the network configuration (DHCP, subnet, TFTP server etc.) to tell it where to get the info and I didn't -

The phone was stuck in "Upgrading" mode - the display changed to "Upgrading" on every restart as it tried to find some firmware.

I don't think that it ever got anything from the TFTP server, it may have got an address from DHCP, but nothing else.

I think that I have totally killed it now though - probably taking the power off when I was trying to do something critical. Now the LEDs flash once and the handset light blinks once on restart and the display is blank. It looks like I have successfully created a new paperweight !

regards

Dave

No. Just set a proper dhcp/tftp and it will reload without any problem.

Hi

Well - regardless of whether you programmed settings on it, doing the factory reset process (which is what you have done) would wipe all that.

Once you've done that, you must set up DHCP with the proper option (150, ip, set to the tftp server) in order to recover it.

If you've got it in an odd state you may be able to repeat the factory reset process, but either way you need that DHCP/TFTP setup to be correct.

Regards

Aaron

stevendt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

just to follow up on this. Much to my surprise, and in line with your replies, I've got the phone back !

As was said, with a correct DHCP and TFTP server configuration, along with a full set of firmware files, the phone did indeed recover. I was almost convinced that I had fried it, so that's a relief.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to this and help out my ineptuitude !

regards

Dave

Good to hear

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: