Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth point issue in NPE 400 .

k_sinjish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We are getting the below warning  message in  the  7200 series router (

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE400) processor (revision A) with 229376K/32768K bytes of memory.)

Warning message :

WARNING: PCI bus mb0_mb1 Exceeds 600 bandwidth points

WARNING: PCI bus mb2 Exceeds 600 bandwidth points

As referring the cisco document we got the left and right  bandwidth points do not exceed 600 ( For left and right separately 600 points )

Port adaptor and connected slots   :

Table 1

Interface

Interface Type

Slot  Nos

C7200-I/O-GE+E

1-port Gigabit Ethernet plus Ethernet I/O controller

PA-A3-OC3MM

ATM enhanced

SA-VAM2+

Virtual Private Network Acceleration Module 2+13

Remaining ports and connected slots :

Table 2 :

PA-GE= 

Slot 1

PA-GE=

slot 2

PA-GE=

slot 3

PA-FE-TX 

Slot 6

a)      In this situation ( slot 0 + slot 5  =  1000 ) what will be the performance impact ( if   I ignore the warning message ) .

b)      I  heard from  somewhere as the  mb0 – bus   will be providing additional   bandwidth  point and will be leveraging this exceeded points .

So please tell me is the  above a right  statement or not .

c)       What is the  solution in this situation if the mb0  does not works .

Regards ,

sinjish.K

Message was edited by: k_sinjish

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sinjish,

I/O controller BW points have to be taken in account and they are counted in one bus (not sure what one) this is a known drawback of first generation of C7200.

if you have one built-in GE on I/O and you are not using it it can be something that helps.

However, having 3 PA-GE and one PA-A3-OC3 on an C7200 NPE-400  looks like too much regardless of VAM2+ that is an encryption module.

You should consider to deploy another device and to move some PAs there.

Hope to  help

Giuseppe

Hi  Giuseppe ,

Thanks for  your update .

Now  we  are  getting  a  continuous  high  cpu  utilization in  this  router .

Total  CPU Utilization : 88 %

Process utilization : 3 %

Interrupt Utilization : 81 %

Total CPU Utilization is 84% for the past 5 seconds, which is high (>80%).And no process also found having a cpu utilization  greater thean 10 % .

So please  let me know does this   bandwidth point  cause  the CPU utilization issue ??

Regards,

Sinjish.K

Hello Sinjish,

>> So please  let me know does  this   bandwidth point  cause  the CPU utilization  issue ??

I'm not sure if this a result of the fact the device is too populated

high cpu caused by interrupts could mean that a lot of traffic is process switched instead of being processed by CEF (more efficient)

in any case the C7200 is still SW based so traffic volume even CEF processed can cause high cpu usage.

How many packets per second are processed on the router interfaces?

Take in account that NPE G1 is capable of 1,000,000 pps and NPE-400 is probably capable of only 400,000 packet per second

see attached pdf file for expected performance

also see troubleshooting high cpu caused by interrupts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00801c2af0.shtml

for sure there can be excessive competition for bus resources that are limited and this is the meaning of the BW points.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card