Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup help

SteveM007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just moved into my first office and have a set of Cisco 7940 IP telephones.

Currently I do not have any need for using the phones as IP phones and have been told that it is possible to use these as PTSN telephones.

The telephone lines are fed into the office through CAT5 cabling and my current PTSN telephones have a converter to switch from the RJ45 connection to the standard connection.

I have attempted to plug the phone in using both the CAT5 and the standard telephone line however, I have not managed to make these phones work.

I am guessing that I need a power adaptor or that I may be able to use a power over ethernet adaptor, however, I am concerned that if i spend more money that these phones will not work on standard PTSN.

Any advice on how to set these up would be grateful.

Many thanks,

Steve

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It's an IP phone... it won't connect to a phone line.

You need an IP PBX such as CallManager or CME.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Not sure what you mean by "PSTN phone".

If you meant "traditional analog phone" (like the ones most people used at home), 7940 cannot do that.

The ports (RJ45) on 7940 phones are Ethernet ports.  You have to feed them with Ethernet signal.  If you feed them with analog signal, not only it won't work, but also it'll damage the phone.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: