Helpful
Replies

What router could I use ?

tarik.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I need one router with some hardware specs as follow:

- The router need at least 5 100FX or 1000FX ports, Fiber must be SingleMode, SC conector.

All other specs are compatible with 1841, but as I see this model can have only 1 fiber port.

Am I wrong?

What router could I use???

Thanks everybody.

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tarik,

you will not find a router platforms with 5 fiber based ports either 100 FX or 1000.

probably you should consider using a multilayer switch. I remember an old C3550 model with 10 GBIC ports and two electrical ports and that would be handy in your case.

a cheap currrent L2 only model can be

WS-C2960S-48FPS-LYes 448 740  (PoE+/PoE)

that has 4 optical ports you need to connect a router to an RJ-45 port to provide layer 3 services

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your reply!!!

But I need a router, because of many specifications VPN. At now I'm planning use a 7200 series with SPA-5X1GE module.

Anyone know if the same VPN caracteristcs of a 1841 series, as number of vpn tunnels, client ssl, HSRP protocol in 7200 series???

Thanks Again!!!!

Hello Tarik,

>> At now I'm planning use a 7200 series with SPA-5X1GE module.

As far as I know SPA cannot be installed on a C7200 they can be used on 7600, 6500, ASR 1000, 12000, XR 12000.

C7200 uses PA is a different older series of modules.

On a C7200 you can install a VAM 2+ that provides better VPN performance then a C1841

>> But I need a router, because of many specifications VPN

you can use two devices: one that terminates the fiber based links and one that provides VPN services it is enough to use a trunk port between a router and a LAN switch for this that has 5 vlans on it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your reply, and to let me know more about the 7200 series.

And now another question, What will be more price expansive? 7200 series ore ASR 1000 series ???

Thanks Again !!!!!

Hello Tarik,

ASR 1000 is more expensive then C7200

but as I noted in my previuos post you should consider the use of two devices that is possible

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Again Giuseppe,

I read about these routers, then according with required specifications I'm planning to use ASR1002-5G-VPN/K9.

So now I need to know and documentation about VPN services.

Did you Know if there are the same VPN features in ASR1002 that 1841 series, like web VPN SSL, IPSec + GRE????

I would appreciate if you help me!!!!

Thanks Anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card